Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Applying for a resident visa from abroad

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Applying for a resident visa from abroad

Postby mac1 » 05 Jul 2001, 18:54

I have been informed by the Taipei Representative Office in the UK that Resident Visas cannot be issued abroad. Is this in fact the case?

The background to this case is as follows:
I have been to Taiwan to study twice before in the summers of 1999 and 2000. On both occasions I travelled with a Visitor Visa.

In September I will be coming to study at Tai-Da with a fellowship from the ROC Ministry of Education to cover fees and a living allowance. The fellowship lasts for one calendar year.

The Visa Application Form says that if you are going to Taiwan for work, study, missionary activities, joining family, etc and intend to stay more than one year you should apply for a Resident Visa. However, I was informed by the TRO that Resident Visas CANNOT be issued outside Taiwan. My understanding was that Resident Visa applications needed to be referred to the Bureau of Consular Affairs in Taipei but I certainly didn't know that they couldn't be issued outside Taiwan. I doubt that this is the legal situation.

I think what they want me to do is go on a Visitors Visa, renew it a couple of times, then after six months get a Resident Visa and an ARC. What I want to do is go on a Resident Visa, and apply for my ARC 15 days after I arrive in Taiwan. It not a MAJOR inconvenience but it is, of course, easier if I have an ARC as soon as possible. It makes it possible to buy a scooter, get a mobile phone contract, etc and also makes it easier to get in and out of Taiwan, if I needed to. And they're going to make me get a Resident Visa and an ARC eventually anyway!

I haven't made any application A

Applying for a resident visa from abroad

Postby Hartzell » 05 Jul 2001, 22:03

I know of no specific regulation which says that a resident visa cannot be issued outside of Taiwan. However, stories such as the one you have recounted have occasionally appeared in commentary which foreigners have made to me.

The right of administrative appeal does exist for those outside Taiwan, however ideally you should have a local "relative" who acts as front man to file the paperwork.

At this point, I think your best bet is to get the short term visa, come to Taiwan, then try to get it changed to a resident visa here. From what you have said, you have all the appropriate official paperwork.

Note: Any documents issued outside of Taiwan should be certified by the appropriate ROC Overseas Office before bringing them to the ROC.
User avatar
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Posts: 2348
Joined: 31 Oct 2000, 17:01
Location: Nei Hu District, Taipei, Taiwan

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest