Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Have the ARC requirements changed?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Tetsuo » 17 Aug 2005, 01:45

I hear that, but a) he did, and the company's been screwing around, and b) that doesn't help now.
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

Postby scomargo » 17 Aug 2005, 08:01

Tetsuo wrote:b) that doesn't help now.

But it might help others reading this public board.
scomargo
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Postby ML McLean » 17 Aug 2005, 13:19

seeker4 wrote:I just renewed my ARC in Taipei at the MOFA office near Ximen MRT station within the last month. I only needed three things:

- Letter of employment from employer (showing employment for another year) (original)

- Work permit from Council of Labor Affairs (obtained through employer) (original)

- NT $1,000

The only stipulation was that the letter of employment needs to be dated within 30 days of you applying for ARC renewal.

As for renewal time, how does 10 minutes sound? Actually, it really takes about that long, as they stamp the back of your ARC with an extension date and that's it. All while you wait within one trip. The longest part is waiting for your turn in line.

Apparently, the Council of Labor Affairs is requiring a copy of the paid taxes document before issuing the work permit now. No one asked for any type of rental contract.

EDIT: Of course, I needed my passport as well. Just took that one for granted. Important though because they need to renew the re-entry authorization in the passport as well (for multiple entries into Taiwan during the length of the ARC extension).

Our office called the CLA and EVTA bureaus to confirm any changes related to the extension/renewals of one's work permit and work-based ARCs.

It follows seeker4's experience but with the stipulation that you need to show proof of living arrangements such as a document from your landlord (rental agreement etc). While he was able to get his renewal/extension without it, the CLA/EVTA persons told us that it's a requirement. So YMMV.

For these renewals and any paperwork related to employment it is standard operating procedure for schools to drop the ball which unduly stresses the teacher employee. Normally, one should give onself 10-14 business days (2-3 weeks) before end of your ARC expiration to do the paperwork. If I were the teacher employee, I'd start the process with my school administrators 5-6 weeks in advance for safety.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear in the post, you will need:
- Letter of employment from employer (showing employment for another year) (original)
- Work permit from Council of Labor Affairs (obtained through employer) (original)
- NT $1,000 (1 year extension)
- Confirmation of paid taxes of the most recent tax year (or when you last worked)
- Housing document from your landlord.

The last three items are employee (your) responsibility. The first two items are your employers.
ML McLean
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Satellite TV » 17 Aug 2005, 16:04

Sound advice Mr Mclean.

Same for processing any application do it as early as possible. Many people leave it to the last minute.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby WH » 18 Aug 2005, 16:35

ML McLean wrote:It follows seeker4's experience but with the stipulation that you need to show proof of living arrangements such as a document from your landlord (rental agreement etc). While he was able to get his renewal/extension without it, the CLA/EVTA persons told us that it's a requirement. So YMMV.

This is nonsensical. The European chamber of commerce has already pointed out that their members' biggest complaint is the ARC process. Why is the Taiwanese government making it even more problematic? What regulation are they quoting? It has never been a requirement in the 13 years I've been here. It is time BritCham, AmCham, and the EuroCham got together and filed a joint complaint on this additional and pointless hoop legal residents of Taiwan have to jump through. What's going to be next? :loco:
WH

Postby ML McLean » 19 Aug 2005, 12:01

WH wrote:
ML McLean wrote:It follows seeker4's experience but with the stipulation that you need to show proof of living arrangements such as a document from your landlord (rental agreement etc). While he was able to get his renewal/extension without it, the CLA/EVTA persons told us that it's a requirement. So YMMV.

This is nonsensical. The European chamber of commerce has already pointed out that their members' biggest complaint is the ARC process. Why is the Taiwanese government making it even more problematic? What regulation are they quoting? It has never been a requirement in the 13 years I've been here. It is time BritCham, AmCham, and the EuroCham got together and filed a joint complaint on this additional and pointless hoop legal residents of Taiwan have to jump through. What's going to be next? :loco:

Yes, the part about the housing information is bizarre although for the CLA they do have a process of informing teachers on complaints and they need to know where teachers live in order to contact them (See Erick Morrillo's case here on the forums). It's not listed on official paper or document anywhere as far as we can find out. Should be challengable but all this is consistent with the "on-the-ground" information/sense we're getting from dealing with these folks.

If I can explain it from the perspective of the TW government, they are keen on getting a better grasp on the English teaching people who are working and living in Taiwan. There's been a push for better accountability across the various departments and agencies to track these people. A "big brother" thing it is. We would be interested to know for those who are not English teachers going through this proceses, whether or not you've been asked for this. I suspect that you would not be.
ML McLean

Postby gcat » 22 Aug 2005, 21:05

We would be interested to know for those who are not English teachers going through this proceses, whether or not you've been asked for this. I suspect that you would not be.

I'm on a student ARC here, and went to the Ximending copshop to get my ARC extended (and my university changed) today. I wasn't asked for my lease. I needed:
#my passport (plus photocopy of visa for them to keep),
#my old ARC,
#a letter of admission from my (new) school [actually not sure if this was necessary, but they wanted it as I had it on me] (photocopy of this for them to keep),
#a letter of enrolment from my (new) school (photocopy of this for them to keep),
#a letter confirming that I was on a government scholarship (photocopy of this for them to keep),
#a photograph, and
#$1000NT.

They did not ask for a lease. The only interest that they showed in my living arrangements was that I lived next door to the desk clerk.

They gave me back my old ARC and passport (with new re-entry permit), and I can pick up my new ARC from Thursday.

My housemate is also here on a student ARC, at a different uni, different study plan. He went in today (also Ximending) and got a new ARC and he wasn't asked for a lease either. He did need an attendance record from his (university) language center tho. I wasn't asked for this, perhaps because I was not a language center student and because I took in my official grades notice thing from last semester (they didn't want a copy of this tho!).

The foreign affairs police were really friendly, however the BOCA people were not. I got grilled for (no exageration) about 45 mins when I went in last week, about why I was changing schools, what I was doing here, my marital status etc. I then rang the TECO office that gave me my scholarship and got them to ring the desk clerks. Their demeanor changed straight away and everything was pushed through really quickly and painlessly. My housemate said that he was required to go to the ATM downstairs and take out money in front of them to prove that he had access to funds before they'd process his resident visa.
gcat
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Dragonbones » 22 Aug 2005, 22:45

I was asked to add the tax certificate to the list today. That's a first, in 12 years.

EDIT - no, wait, I had to do that last year too. Oops.
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Yellow Cartman » 24 Aug 2005, 01:14

I spoke with another Taipei City NPA FAP person and was told that the tax cert record isn't something that's usually required, but the housing information is something they're required to check for. Totally different to the experiences related here. :s

What can I say.... prepare for both possibilities to cover your bases and avoid nasty surprises during your renewal process.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby glaikit » 24 Aug 2005, 07:07

What is the 'tax certificate' people have been refering too? Is it something that you must go to the tax office and apply for, or is it the same thing as that 'tax receipt' slip of paper you get after filiing taxes?
glaikit
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues