Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

5 YR Multiple Entry Visa vs. Work Permit/ARC?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Reisdency

Postby jaws_73 » 05 Oct 2005, 09:03

I was hired and work for the American company. My paycheck is paid by them into my US bank account. The only money I receive from TW is for expenses.

I know I will have to file in both countries, but in the US, I can file foreign excemption on most of my salary. This takes my tax bracket to a very low %.

Maybe this question is not right for this forum as most of you appear to be teachers and you don't have an option. You are either legal or illegal here working. My case may be different as I don't work for a company in TW.... and I am only here in between travel to other Asian countires or back to the USA.
jaws_73
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 05 Oct 2005, 09:29

Maybe this question is not right for this forum as most of you appear to be teachers and you don't have an option.

Quite presumptuous of you. Personally I have no need to tell you what I or any of the others that have attempted to answer your concerns do (principally because I find the need to split the experiences of teachers non-teachers a completely wasted and disingenuous argument), but suffice it to say there is significant experience on these boards regarding the often very unique situation foreigners working and living in Taiwan (regardless of the nature of employment) find themselves. It was through posing a question not too dissimilar to yours that first drew me into becoming a regular user of these boards.

Despite working for an American company you say you will be based in Taiwan. If you work in Taiwan even for a day, you legally require a work permit. It's really that simple. As noted by myself and others, to suggest that there is an option to either take a legal or illegal path in your employment in Taiwan does raise serious questions about your employer.

Good luck.

HG
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby Walsh » 05 Oct 2005, 09:46

jaws_73, I had a friend in a similar situation. He was here for three years on multiple entry visa. Traveled frequently, his foreign company paid him in USD for his expenses in Taiwan. All was well till this year. He had to finally apply for work permit and the authorities asked him to pay taxes for the past three years. He paid a few thousand USD to get through his work permit.

My suggestion would be go for the work permit-ARC route. You can save a lot of trouble in future.
Walsh

Re: Reisdency

Postby Belgian Pie » 05 Oct 2005, 10:34

jaws_73 wrote:I was hired and work for the American company. My paycheck is paid by them into my US bank account. The only money I receive from TW is for expenses.

I know I will have to file in both countries, but in the US, I can file foreign excemption on most of my salary. This takes my tax bracket to a very low %.

Maybe this question is not right for this forum as most of you appear to be teachers and you don't have an option. You are either legal or illegal here working. My case may be different as I don't work for a company in TW.... and I am only here in between travel to other Asian countires or back to the USA.

Mr Jaws ... read my posts again ... if you stay in Taiwan for 183 days in a fiscal year in any legal way, you have to pay taxes, even if you don't work ... believe me. It's probably only 5,000 NT$ but you have to file and if asked pay up ... they reason that you are using public facilities and therefor need to pay up ... they can stop you on immigration if found out you stayed more than 183 days and will ask for your tax receipt. You'll be fined and have to pay anyway ... it can happen, not necessarily but can ...
I've had it happen when I went for an extension of my visitor visa many years ago, studying chinese for a while ... another guy from holland had it happen, he needed to pay 5,000 NT$ ... I didn't pay because I'm a stubborn fool and reasoned with the lady behind the counter until she dropped all ...

If you don't 'work' here but just stay each time for a few weeks/months just be sure to file when it's over 183 days. And give them a reason for your stay ... and show them where you got your money from ....
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby ML McLean » 05 Oct 2005, 22:17

jaws_73 wrote:I was hired and work for the American company. My paycheck is paid by them into my US bank account. The only money I receive from TW is for expenses.

No one in their right mind will propose you act in a way that would violate Taiwan laws. So long as you are aware of the consequences of disregarding sound advice, no one can make you do what you don't want.

As all the other people have repeatedly said, just be aware that the current climate is such that foreigners will be/are being scrutinized in greater detail. If they see something that doesn't seem right, they're going to start asking difficult questions and you'll better have good answers for them. You'll never know when that day will be. Just save yourself that possible unpleasantness and do what you're supposed to do and file your working permit papers and get a work based ARC rather than relying on the visa hops.
ML McLean
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby erehw0n » 05 Oct 2005, 22:36

ML McLean wrote:

No one in their right mind will propose you act in a way that would violate Taiwan laws. So long as you are aware of the consequences of disregarding sound advice, no one can make you do what you don't want.

As all the other people have repeatedly said, just be aware that the current climate is such that foreigners will be/are being scrutinized in greater detail. If they see something that doesn't seem right, they're going to start asking difficult questions and you'll better have good answers for them. You'll never know when that day will be. Just save yourself that possible unpleasantness and do what you're supposed to do and file your working permit papers and get a work based ARC rather than relying on the visa hops.

Was contemplating responding to some of his comments but then realised pointless. And then you came with a cracker of a response! :bravo: :bravo: Couldn't have said it better myself!
erehw0n

Postby Satellite TV » 08 Oct 2005, 15:37

jaws_73 wrote: You are either legal or illegal here working. My case may be different as I don't work for a company in TW.... and I am only here in between travel to other Asian countries or back to the USA.

So what makes your situation any more legal? :loco: :loco: :loco:

If you want to work here illegally then that's up to you. But please don't belittle those here who do work legally.

Once you step into an office here then you are working illegally regardless of wether you work for a local or foreign company. Sounds like your the managing director of nothing. Just a nice job title on your name card.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Visa & Residency Issues