Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

medical for "joining family" visa

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

medical for "joining family" visa

Postby mightyChip » 15 Sep 2005, 22:43

Greetings! Please excuse me if this is a silly question, but I am having trouble finding what I need, and thought I'd ask the experts. Expats. Expert expats. Whateva.

In short: my wife is Taiwanese, I am from the US, and we are thinking about heading to the 人間的天堂. I intend to do some part-time English teaching there while pursuing some dreams on the side.

So I have been sorting through all the various info, and it looks like if I am going to apply for a visa on the basis of my wife -- the "joining family" one, methinketh -- (and follow this up with ARC on the same basis, once I'm in Taiwan), I need to have a medical exam at the time of visa application.

But there's a problem. As an uninsured new graduate, I am really really not in the mood to drop big bucks on the blood tests and exams will cost in the US of A.

Is there a way I can do this stuff in Taiwan and still apply for an ARC on the basis of my wife? I understand that a one-month visa-waiver entry will forbid that, and we've been told a tourist visa would, too.

Any suggestions?
mightyChip
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby sandman » 15 Sep 2005, 22:56

Get a tourist visa -- 60-day multiple entry if you can -- and come over on that. You can do the shit-in-a-cup thing at a hospital here for far less money. You're aware of the need for a CCRD, your marriage cert., and the other docs you'll need, right? All stamped and authenticated by the Taiwan rep. office where you live? You should be able to get everything done on one visa entry, but better make sure you have enough funds to cover a visa run to Hong Kong or someplace, just in case.
Do a search of the forums for the exact documents you'll need. It's a subject that has been covered many times.
Watch out for the CCRD as it's only valid for a limited time and if it expires before the other stuff is ready you'll have a real headache getting another one if you're already here.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

Postby Elegua » 16 Sep 2005, 08:20

Make sure that when you do the shit-in-cup thing that you pack it really, really full. Use that little specimen spool like an ice cream scoop. Make sure some squished out a little.

You want it, you got it.....
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby mightyChip » 16 Sep 2005, 14:27

Thanks for the quick response.

I think we've got the other document req's down. I had also found the stories of other people who did all processing in Taiwan, including medical, but the Foreign Ministry website seemed to forbid it, so I wanted to be sure.

Now I need to start practicing my aim for that poop test!
mightyChip
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ML McLean » 16 Sep 2005, 14:33

Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) has a list of local hospitals that you can use for the health check report for your marriaged-based JFRV / ARC application.

The list is HERE

Good luck.
ML McLean
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues