Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

OVERSTAYER TELLS ALL!

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby FearsomeOrange » 25 Sep 2005, 12:35

a friend of mine waited until too late to apply for his wife's ARC, for the second time. How he managed to do it twice is beyond me, but anyway the FAP guy said "just overstay your visa, and when you leave you'll have to pay between 10,000-15,000."
<a href="http://www.zhenwu.org/fearsomeorange.html"target="new">My Fearsome Blog</a>
FearsomeOrange
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby ML McLean » 25 Sep 2005, 14:06

FearsomeOrange wrote:a friend of mine waited until too late to apply for his wife's ARC, for the second time. How he managed to do it twice is beyond me, but anyway the FAP guy said "just overstay your visa, and when you leave you'll have to pay between 10,000-15,000."

I am truly amazed that a FAP guy would say this. This is a fine example of how the system is screwed up. The FAP guy isn't talking for the other agencies who would scrutinize your passport and ask you why you overstayed. That FAP guy isn't the guy who is going to be stamping your passport with whatever remarks and doling out punishment they seem fit when you do that. This is the height of irresponsibility and stupidity by a civil servant.

I am truly angry :fume:

Keep this information coming. Our office can use these anecdotes to explain the situation to the authorities. They don't know what it's like on the ground from the foreigner perspective.
ML McLean
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby brian » 25 Sep 2005, 16:14

I agree with ML McLean.

It is annoying when there are inconsistencies in the information given by some government staff, but more of a concern is the lack of accountability of these people.

FearsomeOrange wrote:a friend of mine waited until too late to apply for his wife's ARC, for the second time. How he managed to do it twice is beyond me, but anyway the FAP guy said "just overstay your visa, and when you leave you'll have to pay between 10,000-15,000."

Is that really what the FAP guy said? Did he really recommend that the person overstay? The NTD10,000 fine would only apply to a lengthy overstay (an overstay of a couple of days is a fine of NTD1,000 and up from there), so for the guy to receive a fine of NTD10,000 he would need to overstay for around a month. There is no fine higher than NTD10,000 and surely the FAP guy should have known this. He is either completely incompetant, or we aren't hearing the full story.

Is it possible that the FAP guy said 'If you overstay then you will have to pay a fine?' rather than actually encouraging the guy to overstay?
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby j99l88e77 » 25 Sep 2005, 20:16

Probably because it's a different situation. They seem to give overstayers who are not married to a Taiwanese a harder time because they are most likely working or never had a work visa. Then the issue of "what were you doing" comes up. Not that I agree with the FAP guy.

The fines should really be stiffer. I mean, over 90 days is a 10,000 NT fine. That's nothing. Doesn't give anyone the incentive to take care of their situation like, "Oh well, 90 days or 9 years. Same fine." They should really increase the fines so people will get their acts together and report their overstays.

In the situation with married couples, I just can't understand why someone would forget or leave it until the 10,000 NT fine situation. There's no pressure or stress there as it is for people who are working illegally. Believe me. I know. I overstayed my visitor visa 2 years.
j99l88e77
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

Postby Satellite TV » 25 Sep 2005, 21:00

Big Fluffy Matthew wrote:
Satellite TV wrote:Was it you? Was it me? Wait a minute, it couldn't have been me.. :D :D
Are you sure ? When did you last renew your visa ? :p

They took my ARC away years ago and cancelled it. The FAP wrote some really nasty words ( 2 sentences ) on the back in Chinese and put a big red C stamp on it. Bastards :D :D :D

Twas a weird feeling the day they did that. I've never renewed a visa since :eek: :eek: :eek:
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Satellite TV » 25 Sep 2005, 21:04

belgian pie wrote:I started visiting Taiwan in 1992, I got married in 1997 and resided in Taiwan on a visitor visa until 2002 because out of principle I refused to get a resident visa hence ARC ... but I never ever overstayed .....

Damn, your principles are only good for 5 years then. :D :D :D :D
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV

Postby Belgian Pie » 25 Sep 2005, 21:47

Satellite TV wrote:
belgian pie wrote:I started visiting Taiwan in 1992, I got married in 1997 and resided in Taiwan on a visitor visa until 2002 because out of principle I refused to get a resident visa hence ARC ... but I never ever overstayed .....

Damn, your principles are only good for 5 years then. :D :D :D :D

Well ... sometimes things have to give ... in my case it wasn't so much the principle ... it was my wallet and precious time ... :uhhuh:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

related question

Postby User222 » 28 Sep 2005, 18:05

My work permit expires Dec. 1, and my re-entry visa also expires on Dec. 1, so do I have to leave the country on that day or can I stay a few extra days to pack?

The Taipei police station told me that I must leave the country on December 1 (unless I get another work permit or a landing visa).

I am going back to the states anyway, but my ticket from Taipei to the US was December 6.

Can I stay in Taiwan until Dec. 6 and then be able to leave without any problems, or will I be fined?

(I'm asking b/c my boss believes that I can stay in Taiwan until she send the work permit back and cancels it herself, which I don't understand.)

Thanks
User222
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Re: related question

Postby ML McLean » 28 Sep 2005, 18:30

User222 wrote:My work permit expires Dec. 1, and my re-entry visa also expires on Dec. 1, so do I have to leave the country on that day or can I stay a few extra days to pack?

The Taipei police station told me that I must leave the country on December 1 (unless I get another work permit or a landing visa).

I am going back to the states anyway, but my ticket from Taipei to the US was December 6.

Can I stay in Taiwan until Dec. 6 and then be able to leave without any problems, or will I be fined?

(I'm asking b/c my boss believes that I can stay in Taiwan until she send the work permit back and cancels it herself, which I don't understand.)

Thanks

THis is a good post.

The date on your ARC should be the same as your re-entry permit. That is the last date in which you can stay in Taiwan legally. So in this case, Dec 1st, you better be on a plane out of Taiwan because come Dec 2nd, you'll be paying a fine for overstaying.

Thus, your boss is wrong. This concept of a "grace period" only applies to cancelled work permit/ARC cases by the employer. Your case is not one of cancelled work permit by employer case but an expired ARC case. We hear people make this mistake all the time. After this post, hopefully no one will.

If you do not move your ticket up, you'll pay the fine for a 5-day overstay.

Good luck.
ML McLean

Thanks

Postby User222 » 29 Sep 2005, 17:40

Thanks for clearing it up.
User222

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues