Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

What if ...

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

What if ...

Postby Belgian Pie » 20 Sep 2005, 09:58

What would happen if I lets' say went to the airport ... checked in ... went through immigration ... don't board the plane ... wait a few hours ... go down and return to the immigration desk to enter Taiwan on a landing visa?

Would they let me pass immigration, provided that I have a return ticket ... :s

Technically I left the country because I have a stamp from immigration that I did ... I just didn't board and went to another country to return ... and I don't need a stamp from immigration in another country because I could take a connecting flight back to Taiwan without ever passing through immigration at the other end.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby robi666 » 22 Sep 2005, 21:33

what is your benefit than?
duty free shopping?
Aha, Du glaubst wohl das klingt großkotzig...
robi666
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Bassman » 22 Sep 2005, 22:01

I've had the same question in my little noggin before.
Bassman
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

Postby taipeiapple01 » 22 Sep 2005, 23:10

Actually, planes in Taiwan will not take off without you. I know a guy who tried that in lieu of a visa run. Plus, immigration is on a separate floor. There is a stairway, but you need a security card and a five digit pin. There is a camera in the stairway. It is not monitored regular-like, but they can always play back the tape.
PAR ME SI VA LA DA LA VAL DISGRASIADA,
PAR ME SI VA LA DA L'ETERNO DOLOU,
PAR ME SI VA LA DA LA ZENT PIERDUDA.
taipeiapple01
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Belgian Pie » 23 Sep 2005, 09:16

Actually, planes in Taiwan will not take off without you. I know a guy who tried that in lieu of a visa run. Plus, immigration is on a separate floor. There is a stairway, but you need a security card and a five digit pin. There is a camera in the stairway. It is not monitored regular-like, but they can always play back the tape.

Do you live in the airport? You seems to know a lot ... tried it before?

BTW, they leave without you ... they just take out your luggage and you can stay ... you think they are going to leave 200+ people just sitting idle ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby taipeiapple01 » 23 Sep 2005, 09:44

belgian pie wrote:

BTW, they leave without you ... they just take out your luggage and you can stay ... you think they are going to leave 200+ people just sitting idle ...

I was going to let this go, but after Ironman's comment, I thought I let you know I was watching and I do care.

Answer: As a Taiwanese/Chinese, I am always on the look out for away to scam the system. Loopholes are good things and created to help society function, but you won't find one at the CKS International Airport (at lest the one you were looking at).
taipeiapple01

Postby Yellow Cartman » 23 Sep 2005, 10:23

taipeiapple01 wrote:
belgian pie wrote:

I was going to let this go, but after Ironman's comment, I thought I let you know I was watching and I do care.

Answer: As a Taiwanese/Chinese, I am always on the look out for away to scam the system. Loopholes are good things and created to help society function, but you won't find one at the CKS International Airport (at lest the one you were looking at).

Slightly off-topic but I think it's an important one in the Legal Forums re: loopholes. Definitely loopholes are a fact of life, even a way of life here in Taiwan. The system can be "negotiated". That's what ML McLean does, find the grey areas and see if it can be exploited to the client's benefit.

However, personally, I would disagree that this is a good thing. This is a statement on how weak the government is and actually hurts society in the long run. Things would be so much smoother if it were more black and white, not 10,000 shades of grey.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby Bu Lai En » 23 Sep 2005, 12:38

Actually, planes in Taiwan will not take off without you.

They certainly do. One left without me once.

Anyway, the idea won't work. You have to have actually left the country and been to another country. If you have a multiple entry visa, you have ot have left the country but don't have to have been to another country - but you have to have been on a shop or plane, hence the Star Cruise trips.

Brian
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby Belgian Pie » 23 Sep 2005, 12:51

Is a transit zone actually part of the country you're boarding the plane?

I mean techinically it is ... isn't it regarded as an international free zone?
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby taipeiapple01 » 23 Sep 2005, 12:56

belgian pie wrote:Is a transit zone actually part of the country you're boarding the plane?

I mean techinically it is ... isn't it regarded as an international free zone?

AIT and the few embassies we have here are technically not part of Taiwan, but you're going to have to leave the island, no matter what. I know it is difficult. Taiwan, it will touch your heart.

When you land... in let's say hk, you don't need to go through immigration, you can stay in the termanal and get on the next flight. The record keeping is not a problem. They don't even calculate the time between departure and arrival. . . The tricky part is negociating the stairs.
taipeiapple01

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Visa & Residency Issues