Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

work visa---->student visa

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

work visa---->student visa

Postby divergent » 08 Oct 2005, 17:59

I just quit my job, and didn't give them notice. I walked. I know they will cancel my ARC and Visa. The good news is I'm a student at Shi-Da. I have been studying there since September only, and I do have the money to pay tuition for the term starting in December. Do I have to leave the country, or can I "transfer" my current visa to a student one?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Oct 2005, 09:34

Postby guangtou » 14 Oct 2005, 17:02

I think you're probably going to have to do a visa run. I'm in the reverse situation at the moment, and while I'm going to apply to switch ARCs here in Taipei (if only for kicks; yes I'm definitely a bit :loco: ), all the best advice I've had to date suggests I'm going to be visiting my favorite bar in Kowloon in the not too distant future.

If you need to do a visa run, remember to take this shit with you:

1. Enrolment certificate (jiuxue zhengming).
2. Certificate of attendence and grades (chuxi jilu)
3. Passport.
4. A handful of photos.
5. Onward flight ticket.

And maybe think about:

6. A housing contract.
7. A tax certificate (just go to the Tax office in Taipei up from Ximending with your passport).
8. A health certificate that indicates you don't have AIDS.
9. Proof of your residency in your home country.
10. An official-looking bank statement indicating you've got enought cash to hang-out in Taiwan for the period of time you intend to.

Call ahead to the TECO you intend to visit and confirm precisely what they want. It differs from place to place.
User avatar
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Posts: 463
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 21:33

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests