Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

I left my job...now what?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Satellite TV » 12 Oct 2005, 21:33

Lo Bo To wrote:Yeah. I called them and said I quit.

Things are alright so far.

You can never really count on anything here. Even if it's written in stone.

Put it in writing and send it to them by double registered mail otherwise they could say you didnt call and make your already difficult situation even worse. :noway: :noway:
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Lo Bo To » 12 Oct 2005, 21:38

But they already cancelled my ARC and the person at the Labour affairs office checked it on the computer and said I am not blacklisted.
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby ironlady » 12 Oct 2005, 22:30

Not on THAT blacklist. :(
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

Postby brian » 12 Oct 2005, 23:07

There is a guy who would probably be reading this thread with some interest as he was recently permanently blacklisted from ever working as a teacher in Taiwan again. His crime - doing exactly what Lo Bo To has done.

Under the law in Taiwan employers of foreign workers are required to notify the CLA within 72 hours if a foreign employee no longer works for them. There are penalties for employers who do not notify the CLA within this time frame.

As ML Mc Lean has pointed out, any foreign worker who does not show up for work without notice for 3 days is considered to have absconded and the CLA needs to be notified of this. These people would automatically be blacklisted for this offence.

The final concern for Lo Bo To is that the CLA insists that foreign workers give notice of their intention to leave in accordance with either your employment contract or the Labor Law. The Labor Law states that you must give at least 30 days notice and this is the period of notice the CLA will tell you about if you ask them. If your contract states less then you might be okay to give less.

It is best to give notice in writing so that you can prove that you gave this appropriate notice.

The school does not decide to blacklist you, the CLA makes that decision based upon the information that the school gives them. There is no list as such, the CLA just records a mark against your name that results in future work permits to teach being rejected.

Lo Bo To it will be interesting to hear what happens to you, but if that other guys experiences are anything to go by I suspect that you may be in a bit of trouble. Good luck anyway!
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Lo Bo To » 12 Oct 2005, 23:21

I specifically asked the person on the phone at the CLA whether or not I was black listed.

Her Words

"Let me check the computer, 1 sec. OK. No. Everything seems to be OK."

I then asked if I could get another job and she said there would be no problem.

I guess I am lucky.

She told me that if I had not talked to my employer within 3 days (Just not showed up) then they would have blacklisted me as I said before.

How long is your friend blacklisted for?

Just in my defence by the way. I left because my work situation was un-bearable. Arguments everyday. No support or respect of any kind etc...

I don't need that in my life.

I wonder if something has changed recently? Maybe after the labour riots in Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong)? I dunno?
Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Visa & Residency Issues