Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

dual uk/Canadian citizenship problem

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

dual uk/Canadian citizenship problem

Postby unclzero » 10 Nov 2005, 12:20

I entered Taiwan on a visitor visa using my Canadian passport as I have been living there for the last 7 years. My company applied for a work permit using my British passport as my degree documentation and prior work experience is in the UK. I receieved the work permit, but I am not allowed to apply for a resident visa unless I re-enter Taiwan with my British passport (after applying for another visitor visa) or re-apply for a work permit using my Canadian passport, which is easier so that is in process.
Ok, but this is where it get's complicated. My spouse is an ROC citizen, so I know I can apply for an open work permit however I am waiting to receive the criminal record check info from the UK (Canada takes 5 months).
I am now told that as we were married in the UK I must use my UK passport to apply for the resident visa, which will mean a visa run.....does anyone know if there is a way to avoid the visa run??
unclzero
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Dr Zoidberg » 11 Nov 2005, 00:11

Five months for a criminal background check in Canada? Who the fuck told you that? I had mine in two weeks!!!
You may have lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg.

YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!
Dr Zoidberg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Re: dual uk/Canadian citizenship problem

Postby Yellow Cartman » 11 Nov 2005, 00:32

unclzero wrote:I entered Taiwan on a visitor visa using my Canadian passport as I have been living there for the last 7 years. My company applied for a work permit using my British passport as my degree documentation and prior work experience is in the UK. I receieved the work permit, but I am not allowed to apply for a resident visa unless I re-enter Taiwan with my British passport (after applying for another visitor visa) or re-apply for a work permit using my Canadian passport, which is easier so that is in process.
Ok, but this is where it get's complicated. My spouse is an ROC citizen, so I know I can apply for an open work permit however I am waiting to receive the criminal record check info from the UK (Canada takes 5 months).
I am now told that as we were married in the UK I must use my UK passport to apply for the resident visa, which will mean a visa run.....does anyone know if there is a way to avoid the visa run??

Geez, these guys really screwed you over with their application. You should've gotten the JFRV thing going as soon as possible. Would've taken you about the same time to get as your work permit, work-based ARC. If your company still can't do it right, they can always call ML McLean to help you properly process the paperwork without fuss or hassle.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Re-entry

Postby Kick-Stand » 11 Nov 2005, 09:07

There is no way for you to avoid re-entering on your UK passport, especially if you are married in the UK and want to get residency through your wife. Visa run to Naha, Okinawa (don't worry it is super cheap and easy).
Kick-Stand
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Miranda » 11 Nov 2005, 13:23

You were married in the UK so have to enter Taiwan on your British passport. That's a new one on me. The civil service have been brushing up on their Making Life Difficult skills.

However your company takes the biscuit. You're in the country on a Canadian passport, so they apply for a work permit on your British passport. Why? There is absolutely no reason to do so, other than ignorance. So now you're applying for a work permit in your Canadian passport, which is what should have been done in the first place. Super.

Now we find out you're married to an ROC citizen and therefore don't need a work permit at all.

Let's presume you can extend the visitor visa for a while. You need a joining family resident visa in your Canadian passport, if you wish to avoid leaving the country. Therefore you'll need the Canadian police certificate, and your UK marriage certificate certified by the FCO in London (they attach a Hague Convention apostile) which will then be verified by the Taipei Office in London.

Your company have cocked up big time. Hand them over to ML McLean who will do it properly and save your time. I don't know how you're going to get a visa to return in Okinawa, I wouldn't go there if I were you (unless they have a Taiwan visa office in Naha).

You're here on your Canadian passport. I would just do it on your Canadian passport. You're getting some strange advice from someone. Remember, with all civil servants here, if they give you the wrong answer the first time, call back the next day and pick an nswer that's most convenient. They give out random answers here all the time.
Miranda

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues