Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Visa Extension Crack-Down!

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Tax for illegal work

Postby Juba » 23 Nov 2005, 15:31

kahn wrote:Maybe Taichung City Government has finally decided to do something about people like you who come here on tourist visas, sign up at non-university language schools for BS lengthy periods of time, work illegally and don't pay tax. Good on them, as a tax payer I applaud this move and hope that other cities adopt it ASAP.

Working illegally does not necessarily mean not paying tax. You can work illegally and still pay tax on your earnings.
User avatar
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: 12 Feb 2002, 17:01
Location: Taibei City not far from the Combat Zone.



Postby Lord Lucan » 23 Nov 2005, 16:04

Who bets kahn ius a redular poster using a speduonym. Hey what happened to my keybroad?
User avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei



Postby Namahottie » 23 Nov 2005, 20:16

Well if this is true, the way to go Taiwan!!! :beer: What a better way to show the world how "welcoming" Taiwan is to international community who are going to join the new language rat race. I guess China is going to be in the position to really be the leader in this industry. :roll: And Taiwan can just go ahead and stop with those Chinese language aid websites they are setting up to enable foreign students learning Chinese......:roll:
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
 
Posts: 8810
Joined: 19 Apr 2004, 20:54



Postby Tigerman » 23 Nov 2005, 21:14

hexuan wrote:Who bets kahn ius a redular poster using a speduonym. Hey what happened to my keybroad?


Guinness?
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

From: All Things Considered - The Error of Impartiality
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 17775
Joined: 17 Sep 2002, 12:09



Postby Lord Lucan » 24 Nov 2005, 10:13

Tigerman wrote:
hexuan wrote:Who bets kahn ius a redular poster using a speduonym. Hey what happened to my keybroad?


Guinness?


Hennesshy, actually. That other Irishman. Oopsh.
User avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei



Follow-up information

Postby mp3taichung » 24 Nov 2005, 11:33

I spoke to the director of TLI Taipei on the phone and she told me that this situation is in fact TRUE and that the Foreign Affairs Police are not currently extending Multiple Entry / Single Entry Visitor Visas for folks attending english language centers that are not affiliated with Universities.

She mentioned to me that she believes that Universities have been lobbying government officials recently to do just this.

I agree with Hexuan who indicated that this may simply be an end of the month / end of the year scenerio whereby officials must be 'seen' to be following some mandate or another.

Clearly when each school gets their respective 'Guanxi' rolling, the situation will be back to normal.

Doesn't change the fact that I've gotta do a visa run this weekend though.

Rats!


Mp3taichung
mp3taichung
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 16
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 19 Jan 2005, 21:48



Re: Follow-up information

Postby Toasty » 24 Nov 2005, 11:41

mp3taichung wrote:I spoke to the director of TLI Taipei on the phone and she told me that this situation is in fact TRUE and that the Foreign Affairs Police are not currently extending Multiple Entry / Single Entry Visitor Visas for folks attending English language centers that are not affiliated with Universities.

She mentioned to me that she believes that Universities have been lobbying government officials recently to do just this.

I agree with Hexuan who indicated that this may simply be an end of the month / end of the year scenerio whereby officials must be 'seen' to be following some mandate or another.

Clearly when each school gets their respective 'Guanxi' rolling, the situation will be back to normal.

Doesn't change the fact that I've gotta do a visa run this weekend though.

Rats!


Mp3taichung


This likely won't help you in Taizhong, but when I was attending CLD classes in Taibei, I noticed something on their wall one day which had the name of some University on it. They explained that they had enterred into some kind of relationship with this university and that this would ease extension concerns and even allow some students to obtain ARCs. I had a work sponsored ARC at the time, so don't know much more about it. You'd have to think, though, that schools like TLI would follow suit and get affiliated with some wild chicken uni or other soon enough.
I'm the toast with the most.
User avatar
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: 17 May 2004, 21:59
Location: Getting Toasted



Re: Follow-up information

Postby Lord Lucan » 24 Nov 2005, 13:42

Toasty wrote:
mp3taichung wrote:I spoke to the director of TLI Taipei on the phone and she told me that this situation is in fact TRUE and that the Foreign Affairs Police are not currently extending Multiple Entry / Single Entry Visitor Visas for folks attending English language centers that are not affiliated with Universities.

She mentioned to me that she believes that Universities have been lobbying government officials recently to do just this.

I agree with Hexuan who indicated that this may simply be an end of the month / end of the year scenerio whereby officials must be 'seen' to be following some mandate or another.

Clearly when each school gets their respective 'Guanxi' rolling, the situation will be back to normal.

Doesn't change the fact that I've gotta do a visa run this weekend though.

Rats!


Mp3taichung


This likely won't help you in Taizhong, but when I was attending CLD classes in Taibei, I noticed something on their wall one day which had the name of some University on it. They explained that they had enterred into some kind of relationship with this university and that this would ease extension concerns and even allow some students to obtain ARCs. I had a work sponsored ARC at the time, so don't know much more about it. You'd have to think, though, that schools like TLI would follow suit and get affiliated with some wild chicken uni or other soon enough.


Probably right. Universities must have been complaining about the private schools making too much dosh at their expense, and without their costs, and this is their way of getting a slice of that pie. It'll All Be All Right In The End.
User avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei



Re: Follow-up information

Postby Toasty » 24 Nov 2005, 13:59

hexuan wrote:
Toasty wrote:
mp3taichung wrote:I spoke to the director of TLI Taipei on the phone and she told me that this situation is in fact TRUE and that the Foreign Affairs Police are not currently extending Multiple Entry / Single Entry Visitor Visas for folks attending English language centers that are not affiliated with Universities.

She mentioned to me that she believes that Universities have been lobbying government officials recently to do just this.

I agree with Hexuan who indicated that this may simply be an end of the month / end of the year scenerio whereby officials must be 'seen' to be following some mandate or another.

Clearly when each school gets their respective 'Guanxi' rolling, the situation will be back to normal.

Doesn't change the fact that I've gotta do a visa run this weekend though.

Rats!


Mp3taichung


This likely won't help you in Taizhong, but when I was attending CLD classes in Taibei, I noticed something on their wall one day which had the name of some University on it. They explained that they had enterred into some kind of relationship with this university and that this would ease extension concerns and even allow some students to obtain ARCs. I had a work sponsored ARC at the time, so don't know much more about it. You'd have to think, though, that schools like TLI would follow suit and get affiliated with some wild chicken uni or other soon enough.


Probably right. Universities must have been complaining about the private schools making too much dosh at their expense, and without their costs, and this is their way of getting a slice of that pie. It'll All Be All Right In The End.


Yeah. Now that I think of it, the uni's certificate on the wall was preceded by a tuition hike.
I'm the toast with the most.
User avatar
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: 17 May 2004, 21:59
Location: Getting Toasted



Re: Follow-up information

Postby daniel_han » 03 Dec 2005, 06:23

Toasty wrote:
This likely won't help you in Taizhong, but when I was attending CLD classes in Taibei, I noticed something on their wall one day which had the name of some University on it. They explained that they had enterred into some kind of relationship with this university and that this would ease extension concerns and even allow some students to obtain ARCs. I had a work sponsored ARC at the time, so don't know much more about it. You'd have to think, though, that schools like TLI would follow suit and get affiliated with some wild chicken uni or other soon enough.


Or perhaps they'll turn *into* a "university" like all the other schools nowadays.
User avatar
daniel_han
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 209
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 03:20
Location: Taipei



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Return to Visa & Residency Issues



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests