Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Damaged to New Passport - JFRV and ARC Renewal

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Damaged to New Passport - JFRV and ARC Renewal

Postby Alleycat » 14 Dec 2005, 18:56

On re-entering Taiwan in September I was told that because my passport was full, I would need to get a new one. I planned to of course, expecting little difficulty in getting a new JFRV attached to the aforementioned new passport with the original as proof of my eligibility stuck neatly in a full, yet servicable, passport. With a new JVRC in my new passport I planned to go to the FAP on Yanping for a new ARC, my current 3-year ARC (damaged too) expires in January 2006.

A day later, my passport still in my shirt pocket (with my ARC inside) was washed.

This is where things become unstuck or rather stuck together.

My original passport is damaged.

Everything is now stuck together. (I know what you're thinking-I do not love myself that much).

The yellow entry form, though still attached, is blank.

The re-entry sticker is illegible. It is valid till January 2006.

My JVRC is still legible though. It has open vailidity. All I would have needed to do was renew my ARC and get a new re-entry sticker had I had a servicable passport.

My ARC is also damaged though one can still see the original details, my face, my passport number and my wife's name, but not the the reverse which included an extension (until January 2006) and my new ID number. It is valid till January 2006.

So far I have done this:

I went to the RSA offices and received a spanking new passport that will only expire when that asteroid is scheduled to hit earth.

What worries me is that all the old documentation is based on my old passport number. The number of my new passport does not correspond to the old one of course. And of course the damage to my papers which if undamaged would have led to, I assume, a painless renewal.

I've also just moved to the hills above Neihu and our new Family Register is based on our new address which is in Taipei County.

To avoid any further hassles that may arise through me not having dealt with Taipei County's foreign Affairs Police and to avoid further complicating an already complicated affair, I've asked the wife to re-regsiter us on her parents' Family Register, as they live in the Taipei City. The original Family Register I used for my first JVRC some six years ago.

So armed with a damaged passport, a damaged ARC, a new passport (but different number), and a Taipei City Family Register, WHERE SHOULD I START?

At the MOFA or at the FAP on Yanping?

Will I need to redo all the medicals, CCRDs etc etc. I pray not.



As an aside: All the entry stamps in my damaged passport are smeared and quite illegible. How, then, will I go about proving my residence for the requisite number of days for an APRC?

At this stage, I'm just going for the ARC as I woul like to travel at CNY. But when I return I would like to start the process of applying for an APRC.
User avatar
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Posts: 2489
Joined: 04 Oct 2002, 15:16
Location: Alleycat's, baking pizza.

Postby Miranda » 14 Dec 2005, 20:40

Just go down to the FAP and they'll give you a new ARC. They have all your records on computer anyway. It's just like you lost your ARC. There was no need to change your household registration. The folks in Banqiao aren't that bad. I kept my registration in Taipei City for yonks I'd heard so many bad things about them, but they were fine when I went to update my ARC.

I would go to the FAP and ask them. It's possible you'll have to get a new resident visa in your new passport if the old one is illegible. Then they'll give you a new ARC.
User avatar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 375
Joined: 30 Jul 2005, 12:08

Postby Belgian Pie » 15 Dec 2005, 13:32

Or ... report it lost in hyperspace ... tell them (FAP)you got a new passport .. everything should go smoothly as they deal with this once in while ... people get their things stolen you know, or lose it ...
I had a friend whos purse got stolen with everthing inside and she got all sparkling new a week later ...
User avatar
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
Posts: 12175
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest