Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Criminal Records Check

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Criminal Records Check

Postby M0NSTER » 16 Dec 2005, 14:47

I'd like to know the steps involved in applying and receiving a criminal records check in order to recieve a visa based on marraige.

I'm Canadian and I've check the RCMP websites but I would like to know the exact steps/procedures.

Where do I go for fingerprinting?

After the prints have been sent do I send it to the TECO office in Toronto?

What does the paper work look like?

Cost?

Photos required?

How long to recieve the paperwork?

Thanks in advance.
" Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." - Al Swearengen, HBO: Deadwood
M0NSTER
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby funkymonkey » 16 Dec 2005, 23:02

You can get a criminal record check from your local/city police department. No fingerprints are needed. It only takes a week or two to receive it. However, I'm not sure if it would be accepted in Taiwan for a JFRV.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby M0NSTER » 17 Dec 2005, 02:06

Well just for clarification,

I have never been convicted of a crime so my record is clean

However, in order to obtain a JFRV, I must first have a criminal records check done from the RCMP as well as Taipei City (been here 3 years).

Is there anyone that could walk me through the steps?

Merry Ho Ho!

(thanks for the help funky and mod)
" Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." - Al Swearengen, HBO: Deadwood
M0NSTER

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby funkymonkey » 17 Dec 2005, 13:15

M0NSTER wrote:However, in order to obtain a JFRV, I must first have a criminal records check done from the RCMP...

Are you sure it MUST be from the RCMP? A CRC is so much easier to obtain from your local/city police department.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
funkymonkey

Postby M0NSTER » 18 Dec 2005, 18:36

I'm really not sure which is the best route, this is why I'm asking.

I really hope someone with experience could help me out. Don't mean to sound like a child but it would be so much easier if someone could walk me through it.

Where/How? Fees? Time Frame? The paperwork's appearance?
M0NSTER

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby M0NSTER » 19 Dec 2005, 11:04

Although this topic is of interest, we can save the military/mercenary chit chat for the pub or a night of sharing.

Pretty please with a cherry on top....how do I speed up this process without going completely insane while it gets done?

Is there anyone with experience on the matter? How long will it take? Who do I contact?

The TECO office in Toronto had shown me something that resembled an ID card with a photo attached. This was apparently the translation of the C.R check.

HELP!!!
M0NSTER

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby TainanCowboy » 19 Dec 2005, 11:27

MONSTER -
Ok...my bad. I apologize.
Fingerprints are needed. Your local cop shop (Police station can do this for you on a form approved by the TECO & Canadian authoritires - they have them at their shop.
Records check can be done by your local hometown Police station. They must then mail it to the regional TECO Office for their "chop." TECO will then mail it to your local place -MOFA(?) office. Cost is approx NT$1500. Send a pre-stamped envelope with your fingerprints to your home toen Police station so they can mail it to the TECO you designate.
Include another postage paid and addressed envelope for TECO to mail the "chopped" paperwork to the MOFA of your choice here.
Very important At your local/regional Canadian TECO Office - MAKE CONTACT - VIA EMAIL/TELEPHONE - WITH SOMEONE TO HELP YOU WITH THIS WHEN IT GETS TO TECO OFFICE. This cannot be over-emphasized. Otherwise they will get the envelope from your local PD and not know or care what the fuck to do with it. Also, if possible, ask for someone at your local PD to email you that they are finished with their part and have sent it to the TECO office.
When the local Taiwan people - MOFA or local National Police Station - thats where I went - ets your stuff they will probably call you to come in and finish the paper work and pay them approx. $NT1200 or so.
The tuff bits is co-ordinating with the TECO offices to get their "chop" on your paperwork and get it sent to the right place. Thus the postage paid envelopes.

I hope this helps a bit.

Its basically how I did it.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby maoman » 19 Dec 2005, 12:19

These two topics should be of help. :cool:
maoman

Postby Comrade Stalin » 19 Dec 2005, 12:40

TainanCowboy wrote:Very important At your local/regional Canadian TECO Office - MAKE CONTACT - VIA EMAIL/TELEPHONE - WITH SOMEONE TO HELP YOU WITH THIS WHEN IT GETS TO TECO OFFICE. This cannot be over-emphasized. Otherwise they will get the envelope from your local PD and not know or care what the f*ck to do with it.

I second that. I handcarried mine to the TECO office in Guam and the morons still lost it. :fume:
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Postby M0NSTER » 19 Dec 2005, 12:53

Let's thicken the plot....

When I tried to get this done back in 2003, I had recieved my forms from the RCMP (fingerprints and all) that stated:

"This certifies that a search of the national criminal records repository maintained by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) concerning the person whose fingerprints, name and date of birth appear above could not be associated to an existing criminal records conviction."

This is Dated November 20th 2003. I didn't complete the process because 1) the hassle of sending back to Toronto was too much an I had just then recieved employment here in Taiwan therefore an ARC was issued. 2) I didn't want to be a sod and become a citizen through marraige.

Oh boy was I wrong in that decision. The problem with all of this is that it escapes me as to how long it takes to recieve the paper work. I've heard a month. I've read on forumosa that it doesn't need to be authenticated (older threads). I"ve heard as long as 12 fricken weeks. I'll level with all of you. I don't have the time nor the funds to screw around here.

Time frame? That's of major importance to me besides any other changes since 2003. We were married in Toronto December 31st 2001 and I have all of the supporting paper work including household registration etc.

Lastly I just had a 'dream'. Can I use this paperwork and waltz intot he office and receive my JFRV? God I hope so. Otherwise I'm truly screwed.

Tis' the season!

BTW: Thanks for all of your help so far. This is what makes Forumosa.
M0NSTER

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Visa & Residency Issues