Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Renewing multiple entry visa

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Renewing multiple entry visa

Postby Ace » 30 Dec 2005, 12:35

My multiple 5 year entry visa expires next year and I wish to renew it. I read on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office that a copy of a ticket leaving Taiwan is required in order to apply for the visa. Is there anyway around this or do I have to buy my ticket and then renew my visa?

I'm leaving for the States in the fall. Is it easier to get a multiple entry visa in the States?

Thanks.
Ace
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 10
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 30 Dec 2005, 12:22



Re: Renewing multiple entry visa

Postby llary » 02 Jan 2006, 02:25

What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?

Ace wrote:My multiple 5 year entry visa expires next year and I wish to renew it. I read on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office that a copy of a ticket leaving Taiwan is required in order to apply for the visa. Is there anyway around this or do I have to buy my ticket and then renew my visa?

I'm leaving for the States in the fall. Is it easier to get a multiple entry visa in the States?

Thanks.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 03:33



Postby Erhu » 02 Jan 2006, 11:11

Ace, apply for your new visa when you go back to the States in the fall. That's the only place that will give you a longer duration multi-entry visa.

Along with your application, you'll need to send in a flight itinerary showing a flight out of Taiwan within the initial 60 days. However you don't need to actually purchase any airline tickets to get an itinerary. Many online places will allow you to reserve a flight and they'll email the itinerary to you. Just print this out and send it in with your application. If you don't want to buy the tickets, do nothing and the hold on your reseveration will expire automaticallly.
Erhu
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: 16 Dec 2003, 00:49
Location: Taipei



Re: Renewing multiple entry visa

Postby Ace » 02 Jan 2006, 12:26

llary wrote:What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?



I've been working in Taiwan using work permit 51. Next fall I'm going back to the States for graduate school. If I come back to Taiwan during the holidays I won't be able to since my visa expires in March. And I don't want to enter Taiwan using a Taiwanese passport because I need to apply for departure everytime I leave Taiwan. Therefore I want to use my US passport to leave and enter Taiwan.

I remember in the past I could get a white colored multiple entry visa extended in Taiwan, but I don't remember where to get it.
Ace
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 10
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 30 Dec 2005, 12:22



Postby Ace » 02 Jan 2006, 12:37

When I said white colored multiple entry visa I mean the "re-entry permit to republic to china" . Looking at my passport, I once got a 3 year visa.

Is it possible to apply for one of those in Taiwan?
Ace
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
 
Posts: 10
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 30 Dec 2005, 12:22



Postby seeker4 » 02 Jan 2006, 13:52

Length of time aside, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs office (Ximen area) has always extended mine when needed without trouble. If they can't do it, they should certainly be able to tell you who can.
"There is a benefit even in misfortune, for it is the rod with which a man can measure the loyalty of friends."
-Tirukkural 80:796 (Hindu text)
seeker4
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
 
Posts: 1957
Joined: 21 Apr 2004, 13:17
Location: Taipei



Postby llary » 05 Jan 2006, 03:25

OK, it sounds like you don't actually have a multi-entry visitor visa but a regular resident visa. You're not allowed to work on visitor visas. You will have another big sticker in your passport that is your resident visa, and you will (should?) also have an Alient Resident Certificate (ARC, the little card with your photo on).

Your visa doesn't expire; your ARC and re-entry permit do.

You will get an ARC extension from the local police bureau as long as you are still working and have a valid work permit. If you can clarify that you do indeed have an ARC and resident visa then we can go from there.

Ace wrote:When I said white colored multiple entry visa I mean the "re-entry permit to republic to China" . Looking at my passport, I once got a 3 year visa.

Is it possible to apply for one of those in Taiwan?
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 03:33



Re: Renewing multiple entry visa

Postby llary » 05 Jan 2006, 03:31

OK, d'oh, I re-(re)-read this and figured out what you want to do. If you are going to be working after your current ARC expires, you still need to renew it or you will be staying and working illegally. MAKE SURE YOU EXTEND YOUR ARC OR LEAVE TAIWAN BEFORE YOUR CURRENT ARC EXPIRES. Who sorted all this out for you in the first instance? The white sticker is not a visa but a re-entry permit attached to your ARC.

If you want to come back briefly in the holidays, what will you be doing? If you intend to stay longer than 30 days then you should just apply for a regular visitor visa at your local TECRO back in the states.

Ace wrote:
llary wrote:What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?



I've been working in Taiwan using work permit 51. Next fall I'm going back to the States for graduate school. If I come back to Taiwan during the holidays I won't be able to since my visa expires in March. And I don't want to enter Taiwan using a Taiwanese passport because I need to apply for departure everytime I leave Taiwan. Therefore I want to use my US passport to leave and enter Taiwan.

I remember in the past I could get a white colored multiple entry visa extended in Taiwan, but I don't remember where to get it.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: 28 Feb 2005, 03:33



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.




Return to Visa & Residency Issues



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests