Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

New ARC laws for students...help, I am lost!

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

New ARC laws for students...help, I am lost!

Postby Quarters » 03 Jan 2006, 08:48

Ok, I am getting mixed answers in all these forums. I am trying to do this the correct way...

I want to apply to a NON-University language school to study Mandarin. I do really want to study Mandarin but dont want to pay the high university fees. I am in the US right now and wont come until late April.

Can I apply from afar to a school like CLD, Pioneer, or TLI and get an extendable 60 day multiple entry visitor visa? Once in Taiwan, can i then apply for an extension before the 60th day so that i can continue to study for 2 more months and then get an ARC?

I have seen recent posts that NON-University language schools can no longer qualify for ARC's and can no longer qualify for Visitor Visa's. Is this true? All the school websites still advertize that you can still get these visas through them. Are they lying?

(I have seen a lot of responses from people like "I have been here fro 5 years....dont really know...but this is my idea on the matter...etc etc." Please dont respond if you dont know. I need REAL informative FACTUAL information here) Sorry if i sound a bit annoyed...but this whole visa thing is making my head spin :loco: . I really dont want to leave every month.

Thanks for the help!
Quarters
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: New ARC laws for students...help, I am lost!

Postby Juba » 03 Jan 2006, 17:16

As far as I know it has never been possible to get an ARC on the grounds of studying at a non-university language school - only an extendable visitor visa.
Juba
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

Postby Quarters » 03 Jan 2006, 18:05

Ok, so no ARC, thats ok. I can live with a 60 day extendable Visa...but...are the rumors true? :noway: I hope they are not.

Some people go as far as to say they believe after chinese new year, all the excitment over this policy change will die down and things will go back to as they were before: being able to get and renew a visitor visa through a non-uni language school.

Are there any sites, legitamate taiwanese government sites, that list the rules and such? Thanks!
Quarters

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Quarters » 04 Jan 2006, 05:19

I stayed up late last night and called some schools in Taipei to ask first hand what is currently happening with visitor visas for students. Here are my results
Quarters

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Toasty » 04 Jan 2006, 12:16

Call #1: Confused
CDL (non-university Mandarin school)
The girl that answered was very polite, patient, and spoke broken English but still understandable. She told me that I was partially correct about the new law, and that it starts April 2006. She stated that, although the law prohibits them from renewing visas (extending), CDL can still issue the initial visa if applied for from overseas. I asked her how to renew it once the initial one expires. She said that they are part of a university near by that would renew the visa. I asked her the name of the university and she could not tell me. That was about the extent of the conversation.

That sounds about correct for CLD. I used to study there, though I never needed a visa extension through them as I had ARC through my job. Their counter girls suck at English. They would rather speak Chinese to you and they will as soon as you know any amount of the language. I see this as a huge plus for the place actually. I remember when they formed this association with the uni. Their tuitions went up a little and a lsmall framed certificate witht he name of a university in Chinese appeared on their wall. I asked about it and they told me that some students would now be able to get an ARC as a student now through them. Perhaps they caught wind of the changes in store for the future of their business. Not sure why they didn't tell you the name. Perhaps they couldn't translate it into English? CLD was actually a decent laguage center when I went there. Attendence was mandatory for those who had visas through them and teaching quality in the classes I went to was decent.
I'm the toast with the most.
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby scomargo » 04 Jan 2006, 13:42

derek1978 wrote:He said he could not answer visa questions for me and that I should call the local police office or MOE.

I actually think this is pretty good advice. Instead of getting mad at the guy, maybe you can try his idea. :idunno:
scomargo
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

Money talks

Postby Juba » 04 Jan 2006, 17:13

derek1978 wrote:The girl I spoke with at Pioneer did say that she personally felt that if the law did take effect, it would not be long before it would be reversed since so many foreigners depend on these schools.

Or rather because the schools depend on the foreigners (for income).
Juba

Postby SuchAFob » 04 Jan 2006, 20:13

As of April 1 students can no longer extend visitor's visas with language centers.
You must be enrolled in a University Program.

I agree with the idea that this law will only be in effect a very short time, if at all.
Needs a teleportation device.
SuchAFob
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Location: Where they say "y'all", vote red, and think it's insulting to call me a liberal.

Postby Quarters » 05 Jan 2006, 00:11

See, I think that is quirky....so they can issue the initial Visitor Visa from abroad, but can't extend it? That just does not compute... :loco:
Quarters

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Lo Bo To » 05 Jan 2006, 12:41

Lo Bo To
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Return to Visa & Residency Issues