Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Getting a job/ work permit/ ARC from within Taiwan

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Getting a job/ work permit/ ARC from within Taiwan

Postby gtgauvin » 05 Jan 2006, 09:31

I've gota question that I'm sure folks here are probably tired of answering. I'm trying to get a teaching job in Taiwan, and I'm currently living in the US. My girlfriend and I will be going to Taiwan one way or another, and if I don't secure work before we leave, I want to know what my options are. I've taught ESL in Japan, and there, many people would find jobs which would sponsor their work visas, but they would have to leave the country and obtain the visa from the apropriate embassy on foreign soil ( for example, my friend had to go to Korea for a weekend to obtain his Japanese visa). Is it possible for me to enter Taiwan as a tourist, find a job, and obtain my visa and ARC, or is it a similar situation where I would have to leave the country in oredr to apply from outside the country?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 6
Joined: 10 Jul 2004, 17:09
Location: variable

Postby Indiana » 05 Jan 2006, 09:38

Yes, you can enter Taiwan as a tourist, find a job, and obtain your visa and ARC without leaving, as long as everything is processed before your tourist visa expires. Get a 60-day tourist visa to ensure there's enough time to get everything processed.
User avatar
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Posts: 1882
Joined: 28 Sep 2005, 10:49
Location: UAE

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest