Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Correct procedure to get Visa for study

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Correct procedure to get Visa for study

Postby Quarters » 05 Jan 2006, 09:38

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the route I need and should take to study Mandarin in Taiwan? :help:

Apply for Visitor Visa Extendable at the TECO in Seattle
- Diploma & Transcripts from US
- Proof of $2000 US in bank account
- Certified Health Checkup Form
- Passport
- Acceptance letter from language school
- $100 US cash for visa fee
- Letter of recommendation from teacher or employer, etc.
- Address of where I will be staying in Taiwan
- Itinerary for my flight (must show leaving Taiwan)

Arrive and pay $25 US at airport for Visa entrance

Get settled and start going to school :idea:
- Maintain 10 hours a week and score a minimum of 85%

50 days later go to police station to apply for visa extension :cop:
- Diploma & Transcripts from US
- Attendance record sheet
- 1st Visitor Visa from Seattle
- Proof of where I live in Taipei
- Tax form
- Proof I have $2000 US in an account
- $NT for any fees
- Show a flight ticket out of Taiwan

Continue to go to school for another 60 days

At the end of my 3rd month going to school, apply for scholarship and cross fingers :pray:

110th day in Taiwan: Apply for 2nd and last Visitor Visa Extension or apply for RAC

At this point, what is the benefit of getting the RAC instead of the Visa?

Did I get the procedure right? :saywhat: :help:
User avatar
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Posts: 1314
Joined: 03 Jan 2006, 05:14
Location: Banciao

Re: Correct procedure to get Visa for study

Postby Juba » 07 Jan 2006, 02:59

derek1978 wrote:50 days later go to police station to apply for visa extension :cop:
- Diploma & transcripts from US - NOT NEEDED FOR EXTENSION
- Attendance record sheet - NEEDED
- 1st Visitor Visa from Seattle - NEEDED
- Proof of where I live in Taipei - I don't THINK YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY PROVE IT
- Proof I have $2000 US in an account - NOT NEEDED FOR EXTENSION
- $NT for any fees - NEEDED (I think - FORGOTTEN HOW MUCH)
- Show a flight ticket out of Taiwan - NOT NEEDED FOR EXTENSION
User avatar
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)
Posts: 3937
Joined: 12 Feb 2002, 17:01
Location: Taibei City not far from the Combat Zone.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Visa & Residency Issues

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest