Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Which Chinese schools can one legally get a visa for?

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Which Chinese schools can one legally get a visa for?

Postby miso » 26 Dec 2006, 19:23

[Moderator's note: Currently it is only possible to legally get a visa for studying Chinese through a government approved school. For the best resource to find out which schools you can get a visa for, please consult the New official list of approved language schools from MOE topic in Learning Chinese. Discussions about which schools are government approved should be made in that topic. Any other more general questions about student visas should continue to be posted in Visa & Residency Issues.]

Is there any restriction as of which Chinese schools are good enough to be able to extend one's visa? I have a friend coming over from German, she plans to stay 4 months. Is there a better visa option besides Chinese classes?
miso
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby miso » 27 Dec 2006, 12:49

Bored and reading through the various forums, I now found my answer:

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43868
miso

ORIGINAL POSTER

Flag Chinese School

Postby sandworm » 29 Dec 2006, 16:42

Does anyone know if Flag is still in operation, and if so, how to contact them? I have a friend who needs a visa fast!
sandworm
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

student visa

Postby Si Wei » 11 Mar 2007, 04:16

hey
anyone knows how to get a student visa without taking classes? I know there used to be some language centers providing this sort of service, but i never knew anything about them, but now I am considering getting a student visa myself
Si Wei

Postby Namahottie » 11 Mar 2007, 04:31

NOpe not anymore. It wouldn't be wise to even ask about this as the FAP is taking it all too seriously.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Re: student visa

Postby llary » 10 Jun 2007, 13:20

Si Wei wrote:hey
anyone knows how to get a student visa without taking classes? I know there used to be some language centers providing this sort of service, but i never knew anything about them, but now I am considering getting a student visa myself

Student \Stu"dent\, n. [L. studens, -entis, p. pr. of studere to
study. See Study, n.]
1. A person engaged in study; one who is devoted to learning;
a learner; a pupil; a scholar; especially, one who attends
a school, or who seeks knowledge from professional
teachers or from books; as, the students of an academy, a
college, or a university; a medical student; a hard
student.

So, err.. no. Sorry for being facetious, but visa abuses make it harder on those of us with legitimate applications.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

29 Recognized(s)

Postby nomatt » 13 Jul 2007, 09:07

I havent found anything about exchange students in this forum. I'm going to study at Soochow university for one year. The TECO in germany wouldnt give me a resident visa they said on the phone, but only a visitor visa that has to be renewed after 60 days. (max. 180days). (And I have now applied for it)
I have heard about an exchange student who successfully applied for a resident visa in Taipei (entering on a visitor visa), but its been years since then, can someone help me out with some information about how to apply, what mistakes to avoid..
nomatt

Postby jlick » 13 Jul 2007, 15:00

nomatt wrote:I havent found anything about exchange students in this forum. I'm going to study at Soochow university for one year. The TECO in Germany wouldnt give me a resident visa they said on the phone, but only a visitor visa that has to be renewed after 60 days. (max. 180days). (And I have now applied for it)
I have heard about an exchange student who successfully applied for a resident visa in Taipei (entering on a visitor visa), but its been years since then, can someone help me out with some information about how to apply, what mistakes to avoid..

It is not unusual now even for full time students to have to get a visa for the first six months. Towards the end of the six months you would apply for a student resident permit and would likely be asked to show attendance records from your school so that they can ensure that you are really a legitimate student. In the past some people abused the ease of getting student resident permits through lax schools and so now they make it more difficult for everyone to get a student ARC.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick

8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby nomatt » 14 Jul 2007, 04:56

Does that include I would have to leave the country after the visitor visa has been extended two times? Or can I apply for a resident visa after 6 month 'seaminglessly'?

I don't know why but everytime I mention the word "resident" during a phone call with the TECO here they get all bitchy and start to repeat "visitor visa" bla bla "can be extended two times" bla bla "maximum 180 days" bla bla and wouldnt even listen to me anymore.

Another question, maybe a little off-topic: I wont be eligible to enroll to National Health Insurance with this visitor/resident combination, will I? Maybe for the last 6 months?
nomatt

Postby jlick » 14 Jul 2007, 17:29

nomatt wrote:Does that include I would have to leave the country after the visitor visa has been extended two times? Or can I apply for a resident visa after 6 month 'seaminglessly'?

An extendable visitor visa can be converted to a resident visa (and then ARC) without leaving the country.

nomatt wrote:Another question, maybe a little off-topic: I wont be eligible to enroll to National Health Insurance with this visitor/resident combination, will I? Maybe for the last 6 months?

You would need to have an ARC before enrolling in NHI.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick

8 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues