Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby cfimages » 10 Jul 2009, 08:43

Thanks ncsurfer and citizen k. Will get in touch with them next week.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby ludahai » 13 Jul 2009, 15:20

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
cfimages wrote:For the fingerprint bit for the police check, is there a particular police station to go to in Taipei city, or can I just go to any?
There are two police background checks that you need to get in order to apply for an APRC.

1. Taiwan Criminal Background Check. You can go to any major police station to get this. Fingerprints are not required for this check and at the last time I did one the fee was $200 NTD and a one week wait. You can pick it up yourself or have them mail it. I live in Taipei County, but I went to the Foreign Affairs Police Station at Hsi-Men Ding, MRT Exit 5. Although all immigration affairs were passed on to the new Immigration Department, you can still go there to get your Taiwan background check.

I went to the FAP office in Taichung City to get mine done and it took FIFTEEN MINUTES!

2. Federal Criminal Background Check from applicants home country. I'm a US citizen so that means an FBI background check which requires fingerprints. FBI background application information and procedures

If possible have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician (this service may be available at a Law Enforcement Agency.)Previously processed fingerprint cards will not be accepted.

You can get your fingerprints taken at the local branch of National Immigration. They will take fingerprints on the paper/card from your country plus will do it digitally. Took about twenty minutes here in Taichung.

Also, the FBI check takes the longest. Fortunately, the local branch of NIA accepted my other documents and held them until my FBI check arrived (important for me because a couple of documents would have expired otherwise.)

I got the call last Thursday that my APRC was approved and I will get it this Thursday.
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 13 Jul 2009, 18:12

ludahai wrote:I got the call last Thursday that my APRC was approved and I will get it this Thursday.
Congratulations, and welcome to the club! :bravo:
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby schwarzwald » 17 Jul 2009, 21:53

springonion wrote:Thanks for posting this, Northcoast Surfer :notworthy: ...I'm sure this will be very beneficial to anyone who wants to apply for the APRC in the future....I took the Chinese version of the checklist from the NIA lady a couple of mths ago...everything in it corresponds exactly to the English version you posted...If anyone wants to see the Chinese checklist, let me know and I can post it on here too. Anyone mind translating it? :lol:

Could you please post the Chinese version. That would be very helpful! Thanks so much! Sorry for the extra trouble!
schwarzwald
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby legant » 18 Jul 2009, 08:25

Hi I just finally will receive my APRC. I wanted post some roadblocks or info that is not told to you on the websites. Once you download and send your required papers to the FBI office BE SURE that you put the correct address of the TECO office that you want them to send the results too. I made the mistake of having them send it to my TECO of in NY which is not correct. The FBI sent it to them and they claimed that they never received my documents. They told me that I should have put this address: 4201 Wisconsin Ave NW Washington D.C. 20016. So my documents were in limbo for over 2 weeks with both sides claming I should have included a Fed EX envelope so I could track it. This is not possible if you are in Taiwan. The FBI does send it first class mail. Luckly after me express how I felt about whole process calmly to the office in NY(I got a little loud with them haha) the FBI e-mailed me saying the received the document back and where would I like to have it sent. If they didn't find it I would have to got through the whole process again of downloading the papers from their site and paying the fee again!! MY advise to anyone sending this to the FBI do it by EMS(Express Mail Service) at any Tawain Post Office. That way, you can track it. Now here comes another part that you are not told but I found out the hard way. Even though the Washington D.C.office receives it, they might not let you know you they did. Plus there is a fee of 15 USD for them to authorize your Fed Police report. And if you want it to be sent Expres Mail it's another 28 USD(I would recommennd you do this!!!) But you have to have someone in US to help you pay these fees as they do not except credit cards. The person of contact in the office's name is Cindy Lee. Her e-mail is www.lifenlee@yahoo.com. I calld the office to check on my document and she paid for all of the fees and sent me back my things. I am sorry for this very long post but believe me it will help you in getting your APRC faster and correctly. Take care and good luck to all who try this
legant
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby cfimages » 18 Jul 2009, 08:43

Just as an update to the fingerprint thing.

My fiancee called the Wenshan branch of household registration and they said it's not needed. I think there was some confusion because she also asked about the single cert for marriage (getting married in Sept so if APRC doesn't get accepted, will get JFRV).

I was working in Ximending yesterday morning, so went into the big FAP station and asked. They sent me to the NIA office down the road. Managed to get them done there. In the basement, counter 48, took 5 mins and cost NT$100.
cfimages
Forumosa's Finest
Forumosa's Finest

In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2003

Postby ludahai » 23 Jul 2009, 09:42

cfimages wrote:I was working in Ximending yesterday morning, so went into the big FAP station and asked. They sent me to the NIA office down the road. Managed to get them done there. In the basement, counter 48, took 5 mins and cost NT$100.

NIA is easier. They do it fast and efficiently. They are the ones who process the application, so it is just easier to do as much there as possible. I found that through the process, they got to know me, were very friendly, and it made the whole procedure much easier than the US immigration officials make it.
I have a dream, a dream where a democratic China lives side by side with Taiwan, Tibet, and Turkestan, all free and democratic.
ludahai

Postby springonion » 23 Jul 2009, 18:23

schwarzwald wrote:
springonion wrote:Thanks for posting this, Northcoast Surfer :notworthy: ...I'm sure this will be very beneficial to anyone who wants to apply for the APRC in the future....I took the Chinese version of the checklist from the NIA lady a couple of mths ago...everything in it corresponds exactly to the English version you posted...If anyone wants to see the Chinese checklist, let me know and I can post it on here too. Anyone mind translating it? :lol:

Could you please post the Chinese version. That would be very helpful! Thanks so much! Sorry for the extra trouble!

The link to the Chinese Version is here
“Sometimes the hardest part isn't letting go but rather learning to start over.” ― Nicole Sobon
springonion
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby Josefus » 12 Oct 2009, 12:14

I'm about ready to start gathering the documents for my APRC, but first I want to sit down with someone who works there to make absolutely sure I'm eligible.
I'm in Taipei.
Where is the main office I should go to?
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Josefus
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby Josefus » 12 Oct 2009, 13:00

Ok, according to the gov site http://www.immigration.gov.tw//immig_en ... .asp?id=10 the "local NIA's service center" does the first review, but when I click on the link, it doesn't work, so I have no idea where to go.

I'm in Muzha, is there a local NIA office here?
Or should I go to the big main one over by Ximen?
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Josefus

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues