APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Taiwerica » 13 Apr 2012, 20:39

Hey Guys,

So I got my APRC and OWP, thanks to the great info in this forum. I work for GVO and they still want me to sign a contract that says I can't take long vacations and if I want to quit I have to give them two months notice or they'll fine me $20,000. I don't need to sign that, right? I thought with OWP, we don't have to sign any contracts. Sorry if someone already mentioned about this, the thread is really long.

~Taiwerica
Taiwerica
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Belgian Pie » 13 Apr 2012, 21:10

A work (labor) contract is between you and your employer, has nothing to do with a work permit.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
60 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwerica » 14 Apr 2012, 00:59

Okay thanks. By the way, is that legal for a company to fine someone that much for not giving 2 months notice for leaving?
Taiwerica

Postby LeiQQ » 14 Apr 2012, 01:59

Taiwerica wrote:Okay thanks. By the way, is that legal for a company to fine someone that much for not giving 2 months notice for leaving?

Probably. I was working as a full-time lecturer at a national university where my contract stated "If you are required to work extra hours, you are entitled to extra pay." I couldn't get them to put on the contract how much the extra pay was. Then later on after working there for two years I was told that my extra pay was too much and they were taking money back that they had given me the last year. I was not the only teacher that was told that the money needed to be returned. I had the labor bureau come in and have a look at the situation but of course they could only reinforce my contract. When they saw my contract they said it was a terribly written in both Chinese and English. Then they said to me, "They could pay you $1NT and that would be considered extra pay. So even with them asking you to give money back there is nothing we can do about it unless the contract listed a certain amount. "

You would think that a company where you worked at for 2 years couldn't suddenly say "Oh we paid you too much for your overtime, so you need to return the money." But it happened to me. I think they can do almost anything they want as long as it's in a contract.
LeiQQ

Postby ImaniOU » 24 Apr 2012, 13:41

I kinda majorly screwed up the amount of time it takes to get the Criminal Background Check from the FBI. I have until July 14th to finish my application for the APRC due to my former employer cancelling my ARC almost two years ago and not having the money to get it until recently. I have been freaking out, but in the process discovered something that would be of much use to anyone in a similar situation, even if it might be too late for me...

The FBI has channelers that can expedite your CBC much faster than going directly through the FBI (which does not do rush orders). The one I am going through is the NBCI or National Background Check, Inc. which is based in Ohio. The cost is $45, which includes the $18 fee the FBI requires for processing. I can update with how much faster it will be when I get my results.
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby bobbyanalog » 01 May 2012, 13:47

Finally got it. For the Canadians: I got my fingerprints taken at the Banqiao immigration office on Oct.15th and had my official card in hand yesterday (April 30th). So, count on 6 and a half months. Anyway, 6.5 months is relatively short compared to the 7 years I've been anticipating this day.
Forumosan avatar
bobbyanalog
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 01 May 2012, 14:51

bobbyanalog wrote:Finally got it. For the Canadians: I got my fingerprints taken at the Banqiao immigration office on Oct.15th and had my official card in hand yesterday (April 30th). So, count on 6 and a half months. Anyway, 6.5 months is relatively short compared to the 7 years I've been anticipating this day.

Bobby,

Congratulations! You finally won. :bravo:

Don't forget your Open-Work Permit.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
176 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby mingshah » 03 May 2012, 22:36

Today I finally got all my papers in and applied for APRC, got a bit held up with work and other issues but other than that it was rather smooth.

I will try to write the whole bit down a bit later with all the tweaks and tricks and costs but just some short updates:

- Police background check from home country:

I got that one done from my representative office (Austria) here in Taiwan, they gave me a tri-lingual document which i took to the BOCA.
Now they made a bit trouble with that one, argued about it and it took a bit to sort it out. First they said I need to get the document translated and then notarized. When I stated that it is already in three languages and the BOCA stated it's authentic they said they can't use it because they need a Chinese only document and I need to get it translated.
I pointed out that everything on there is already in Chinese too, so nobody needs to translate it as it is already there and it's not translating if you write down something in Chinese from Chinese. They kind of got that point but said I still need to notarize it (they tried to be clever here), so if I find someone who notarizes me the document like that then they will accept it.

So I asked if they have a list of Notars and they gave me that list and pointed out two closer by in Banqiao. I headed off to Hansheng East Rd. No. 13 1F, right next to the big parking lot at Banqiao station. I walked in, told my story and they asked me to wait, took about 15 min or so.
The secretary typed down the Chinese on the document, they put on the stamp, gave me 3 copies and asked 750 NTD. Done...

Got straight back to Immigration and gave in document. They had done the check with the days I stayed in country the last 5 years (all well about 300 days) and said all is good and I will get a letter in about a month to pick up the APRC, just give them a call the day before so they can prepare.

Oh, I had prepared all the copies of my passports pages and with all my travel that was a lot but then I had to sign every single page, same with the bank book pages. That was a bit time consuming which I could have done back home.

Well that's it for now... back to waiting...
The Beauty of Taiwan: http://youtu.be/LfVzQzzAF-M
mingshah
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

18 Recognized(s)

Postby dicernthetruth » 06 May 2012, 23:36

:)
dicernthetruth

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 06 May 2012, 23:44

dicernthetruth wrote:Hi Guys,

I have recently approved "APRC- Plum blossom card" (http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI ... 32316&mp=2) under the section of senior professional. This card needs neither 5 years stay in Taiwan nor 183 days in a year to keep the APRC status.

My question is;

Can my spouse get OWP as like me since she is my dependent?

Thank you.

No.
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer

ORIGINAL POSTER
176 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues