Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby delieadalish » 10 Jul 2012, 00:08

I was going to post something not useful about how I'd looked in there (and actually I did but was disheartened by the post dates, hoping to get more recent information. That said, I definitely (from reading more closely) got more information that I had and led me down a trail to get further information. Thanks!
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby jason242 » 11 Jul 2012, 12:54

Good luck on your APRC. I'm currently just waiting for TECRO to send me the authentication for the FBI check and I'll be drawing close to a close of this APRC application theme park ride. I feel like I should get an award for just completing the process XD
J_D
jason242
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby delieadalish » 11 Jul 2012, 18:19

lol... well you do get a prize kinda.. the APRC... LOL

Ok for any Canadians out there... check out this.. I just found it. I'm going to call them tonight and see if this is as AMAZING as it sounds http://canadianlegal.org/fingerprintin/ ... ing-times/
For those too lazy to click on the link, it's a legal service that might help you turn print fingerprints into digital and turn the process into a few days instead of months.
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish

1 Recognized(s)

Postby delieadalish » 14 Jul 2012, 08:43

ATTENTION CANADIANS

I found a magic way to get your criminal record check within 1-3 weeks FROM Taiwan. As in a way to do the digital prints from here, with out flying home or chopping off your fingers and mailing them to the police (they prolly take that the wrong way anyway).

I documented this in a different thread (and plan to write it all out start to finish like the American guy did (sticky at the beginning of the thread) but here is what I have so far.

There are now services in Canada (very new like a month or two old) that can transfer your paper prints into digital and submit them for you. http://canadianlegal.org/fingerprintin/ ... ng-4/#Fees
plus 50 bucks and change for them and taxes

You can use skype to call them for free, using their 1-800 number (it in a big blue box on their site).

And this is the deal, first way easier to pay.. you can pay them by credit card. The cost is the 25 dollar rcmp fee and you pay an extra 50 bucks and change (fucking Canada and the plus tax :fume: .. really on a fucking service.. whatever).

You get the fingerprinting document from The Canadian Trade office.. (grab a bunch bc they don't care and the NIA will take the left overs) I got three just in case.

Print some release form from the law office (call them and they will email you) , and photo copy two forms of Canadian ID I used my Drivers licence and my passport.

Go to the NIA, and go downstairs (in taipei) counter 58, the super nice agent will help you fingerprint yourself. I did two forms because I changed my name once in the past. but it was a really long time ago.. so sometimes there are issues and sometimes there aren't. That cost 100nt per set..

The I walked the 5 steps to the post office, the one on the same floor of the NIA, and couriered it to their office. Cost 300nt will take 3-5 days. (... and the length of that depends entirely on Canada post. It was on a plane to Canada by 930 pm that evening.) I sent it to the woman in the office that I had spoken with that day before. Also to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes, I took photos of every document and of my ID as well and emailed that all to their office. While I was sleeping they confirmed that the photos looked good and that I had included everything needed. (I did this because I'd rather pay to courier something the next day, than wait till at arrives to find out something is missing)

Now I wait. She told me depending on when my documents arrive at their office, I (my friend I'm having it sent to in Canada) may have my criminal record check as early as (I sent it july 13th) july 24rd or 25th. As long as I don't have a record (I don't) the latest July August 3rd. :discodance:

So how this is being fast tracked is, they have(or at least access to) a special (accepted by the RCMP) Machine that can scan your paper prints into the correct digital format so you can do the digital fasty fasty criminal record check WITHOUT being in Canada.

WIN
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 15 Jul 2012, 16:09

I just spent I-hate-to-think-how-much time reading every page of this topic. Whew!

I want to make sure I understand one point, though. The step-by-step guide on page 1 by rk1951 is the correct, up-to-date procedure for Americans, except for the Chinese translation of the FBI Background Check, correct?

As I understand, previously you could use the translation template that Northcoast Surfer or rk1951 provided, plug in your own information, include this translation with the English version, send them to TECRO, and for an additional fee the TECRO office would authenticate both the English and Chinese versions.

Now, according to http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=800#p1437153, once the English FBI Background Check has been authenticated by TECRO, it must be translated into Chinese and notarized/authenticated in Taiwan instead. Correct?

(I think it would be quite helpful to have this new information on the first page; perhaps Northcoast Surfer is working on that)

Other than the above, I'd like to ask a couple more questions:

1. My five-year ARC date will be May 30, 2013. However, the official application procedure on page 1 states that the applicant must reside in Taiwan 183 days for each year. So, does that mean I can't really apply until 183 days have passed in 2013 (July 2nd)?

2. For the health check, this thread's link of valid hospitals doesn't work for me (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=480#p1282650). Can I just go to the same hospital that does my ARC health check every year?
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

89 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby jason242 » 17 Jul 2012, 11:25

Steve4nLanguage wrote:I want to make sure I understand one point, though. The step-by-step guide on page 1 by rk1951 is the correct, up-to-date procedure for Americans, except for the Chinese translation of the FBI Background Check, correct?

Mostly right, but much simpler now. As in my post, you only need to send 4 things to TECRO: original copy of FBI Background check, completed application form, copy of passport picture page, and a cashier's check for $53 USD.

Steve4nLanguage wrote:As I understand, previously you could use the translation template that Northcoast Surfer or rk1951 provided, plug in your own information, include this translation with the English version, send them to TECRO, and for an additional fee the TECRO office would authenticate both the English and Chinese versions.

I haven't received the authentication from TECRO yet, but yes it needs to be done in Taiwan. Unless you are in the D.C. area and then they will authenticate it. I should receive my authentication of the FBI check by Aug 1st. I will then see if Northcoast Surfer's Chinese translation will work here in Taiwan. I have been told that you need to go to a District Court to complete the procedure.

Steve4nLanguage wrote:
    1. My five-year ARC date will be May 30, 2013. However, the official application procedure on page 1 states that the applicant must reside in Taiwan 183 days for each year. So, does that mean I can't really apply until 183 days have passed in 2013 (July 2nd)?

2. For the health check, this thread's link of valid hospitals doesn't work for me (http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=80053&start=480#p1282650). Can I just go to the same hospital that does my ARC health check every year?

1. Don't know for sure. Would assume once 5 years had passed you could apply, but of course I'd suggest calling NIA.

2. I just went to the hospital I do my ARC health check. It cost 1,800 NTD for the health check. They will know if they can do it, but be prepared to poop in a cup.
J_D
jason242

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Jul 2012, 11:37

Steve, the very first step is to GO to NIA, DO NOT CALL, GO, and have them check your records to see if you are eligible. Do not move a finger until you have their green light.

There could be a gap somewhere in your stay, they are the only ones who know if you have to wait more time and how long, they will give you a list of requisites and send you on your merry way. You will become acquainted with the officials in charge and get a number to call when you hit a bump.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

633 Recommends(s)
502 Recognized(s)

Postby jason242 » 17 Jul 2012, 11:45

Icon wrote:Steve, the very first step is to GO to NIA, DO NOT CALL, GO, and have them check your records to see if you are eligible. Do not move a finger until you have their green light.

There could be a gap somewhere in your stay, they are the only ones who know if you have to wait more time and how long, they will give you a list of requisites and send you on your merry way. You will become acquainted with the officials in charge and get a number to call when you hit a bump.

Icon IS right. If you haven't already sat down with them to check your eligibility, you definitely need to do that. I had already assumed you had.
I never had to worry about my dates of stay, because since I got here I've never left Taiwan.
J_D
jason242

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 18 Jul 2012, 00:01

Thanks all. It's still a year away, and I'll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

I was just curious if anyone knew about the 5th year. For example, if someone arrived on Jan 2, 2008, then their 5 years would be up on Jan 2, 2013, but they wouldn't have been in Taiwan for 183 days yet in the 2013 calendar year.
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage

89 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby jason242 » 18 Jul 2012, 21:45

Steve4nLanguage wrote:Thanks all. It's still a year away, and I'll definitely check with the NIA before starting to gather all of the paperwork.

I was just curious if anyone knew about the 5th year. For example, if someone arrived on Jan 2, 2008, then their 5 years would be up on Jan 2, 2013, but they wouldn't have been in Taiwan for 183 days yet in the 2013 calendar year.

I think you can just look at 2008-2013

In 2008 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2009 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2010 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2011 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)
In 2012 stayed in Taiwan for 183 days? yes (good)/ no (game over)

If you can answer yes to all those, then as far as that requirement you should have no problem.

2013 would constitute your sixth year in Taiwan that is if the date you gave is your own.
J_D
jason242

1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues