Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 27 May 2010, 18:50

danchapman91 wrote:Oh...I just remembered. The ARC did expire for a period of a couple of months. Hmm, guess that might be crucial...??
Just go to the NIA and have them run your residency record to see if you are qualified to apply for the APRC. That way you don't waste a bunch of time trying to get all your documents together only to find out that you are not qualified due to a break in residency. I had a friend go through every procedure for getting the APRC only to find out that he wasn't qualified because his ARC lapsed for two months during his five years. If only he'd checked with the NIA first to see if he met the basic residency qualifications he'd have saved himself a bunch of time and money.
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Chris » 29 May 2010, 01:26

I got my FBI background check!!!

In the interests of not re-inventing the wheel, has anyone here had this translated into Chinese before, and happens to have a file of the translation handy?

If not, I can do my best to translate it myself, and have a Taiwanese person (or two) review it for errors, and we can keep the translation on file for the benefit of other APRC applicants.
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 29 May 2010, 01:54

Chris wrote:I got my FBI background check!!!

In the interests of not re-inventing the wheel, has anyone here had this translated into Chinese before, and happens to have a file of the translation handy?

If not, I can do my best to translate it myself, and have a Taiwanese person (or two) review it for errors, and we can keep the translation on file for the benefit of other APRC applicants.

Chris....as luck with have it, I too received my FBI background check today. However, I received mine from the TECRO in DC all nicely authenticated and ready for submission for the APRC. Here is the Chinese translation. You don't have to change anything except your name, address, and dates because like I said, TECRO authenticated my translation. If you would like a nice MS Word soft copy, just PM me and give me your regular email address and I'll email it off to you. It's a guaranteed winner! Have a look. I even put the FBI's logo on it.

Northcoast Surfer

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Chris » 29 May 2010, 02:18

Fantastic!

Thank you ever so much! Actually, I had already started, and have translated down to the SSN part. The beginning of my letter started, tentatively: 聯邦調查局刑事司法資訊服務部(CJIS)已完成以下指印提交:

:notworthy:
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Chris » 29 May 2010, 03:26

Question: A friend said that once you get your APRC, you have to pay a lot more in taxes., as compared to JFRV. I've never heard this before. Is there any truth to this?
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby citizen k » 29 May 2010, 05:56

No. Not so at all, in my experience. You can still file jointly, if married.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

Postby Chris » 29 May 2010, 06:05

Thanks, citizen k.

Now I'm at this point:

I have my FBI letter, translated it into Chinese, and had a native speaker proofread it. I'm in the US right now. Now I want to mail it out by tomorrow (Saturday) morning at the latest (since Monday is a national holiday and post offices are closed).

Let me see if I have my next step right:

I need to Express Mail the following:

1. Original FBI letter
2. Translation of FBI letter
3. US$15 cash
4. Self-addressed stamped envelope
5. Application Form for Authentication
6. Copy of Passport

to the following address:

Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States
4201 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016

Question: Do I have to send anything else?
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 29 May 2010, 09:53

Chris wrote:Thanks, citizen k.

Now I'm at this point:

I have my FBI letter, translated it into Chinese, and had a native speaker proofread it. I'm in the US right now. Now I want to mail it out by tomorrow (Saturday) morning at the latest (since Monday is a national holiday and post offices are closed).

Let me see if I have my next step right:

I need to Express Mail the following:

1. Original FBI letter
2. Translation of FBI letter
3. US$15 cash
4. Self-addressed stamped envelope
5. Application Form for Authentication
6. Copy of Passport

to the following address:

Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the United States
4201 Wisconsin Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016

Question: Do I have to send anything else?

Here's the list of the required items for authentication.

1. Application for authentication. (and 1 copy)

2. Original FBI background check. (and 1 copy)

3. Chinese translation – FBI background check. (and 1 copy)

4. Copy of your main passport page. (and 1 copy)

5. Copy of your ARC, front and back. (and 1 copy)

6. Self-addressed stamped envelope.

7. $45 USD money order for authentication. ($15 for authentication for the original FBI background check, $30 for authentication for the Chinese translation) Payment can be in cash, money order, or cashier’s check only (no personal checks or credit cards) It’s best to use a money order from the US postal service.

8. Address the package to:

TECRO
Authentication Services – Consular Division
4201 Wisconsin Ave., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20016
(202) 895-1815
Northcoast Surfer

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Chris » 29 May 2010, 09:58

Many thanks!
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Chris » 30 May 2010, 13:52

All express-mailed to TECRO DC today (Sat), after an interminable wait at the post office. Monday is a holiday, so they should get it Tuesday.

By the way, my translation (based partly on my original attempt and partly on yours, and reviewed and improved by a native speaker), is as follows (with most pertinent part in red). If anyone can give suggestions for more improvement, I'd be grateful, and this can serve as a template for other American applicants.

1-787 (Rev. 01-12-2010)
美國司法部
聯邦調查局

美國西維吉尼亞州克拉克斯堡市26306

20??年??月??日 XXXX

FULL NAME
ADDRESS IN CHINESE LANGUAGE AND ORDER
(美國??州??市??街????號) (Not certain where to put Zip Code)

聯邦調查局刑事司法資訊局﹝CJIS﹞已完成下列之指紋提交:

對象姓名_______收件日期_______回覆日期________結果
FULL NAME_____20??年??月??日___20??年??月??日____無逮捕紀錄-FBI

社會安全號碼: XXX-XXX-YYYY

上述回覆的結果,只於回覆日期截止前有效,若需更新的資料,請提交對象新的指紋圖譜。

為了保護個人身分資料,自從公元2009年8月17日起,聯邦調查局改變政策,不再退回指紋卡。此公文為聯邦調查局之正式回覆。

若有任何疑問,可向客服組詢問:(304) 625-5590。您也可以參考本局網站 (http://www.fbi.gov) 以獲得進一步的說明。

刑事司法資訊局
生物識別技術服務科
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Visa & Residency Issues