APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 21 Jan 2012, 17:51

:bravo: Neesh.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: 17 Jul 2006, 21:24
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Enigma » 26 Jan 2012, 05:48

Belgian Pie wrote:When you get a new passport ... go to the NIA for a new APRC, it's free of charge ...
I had my APRC for about 2 months now, got one of these new 'Biometric' passports, a requirement worldwide soon ... which changed my passport number and makes the APRC basically 'invalid'.

Huh? invalid? Oh sweet . . . . Are you sure. I must be missing something here. (Which happens from time to time)
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: 07 Dec 2004, 17:02
Location: South on 3, Tuchen exit, in pursuit!
15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 26 Jan 2012, 16:17

Enigma wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:When you get a new passport ... go to the NIA for a new APRC, it's free of charge ...
I had my APRC for about 2 months now, got one of these new 'Biometric' passports, a requirement worldwide soon ... which changed my passport number and makes the APRC basically 'invalid'.

Huh? invalid? Oh sweet . . . . Are you sure. I must be missing something here. (Which happens from time to time)


When your current passport expires and you need to get a new one, you will get a new passport number. So, upon receiving your new passport with new passport number, you need to take the old passport and your new passport to the NIA to get a new APRC which reflects your new passport and passport number. There is no charge to get a new APRC when your passport number changes. However, if you don't update your APRC with your new passport number, you'll probably have difficulty re-entering Taiwan with your new passport and new passport number inconjuction with your APRC and the old passport number.

Also, you also need to get an updated Open-Work Permit which reflects your new passport number as well.

OK?
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)
 
Posts: 1885
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 16:37
175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Belgian Pie » 26 Jan 2012, 16:22

Northcoast Surfer wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Belgian Pie wrote:When you get a new passport ... go to the NIA for a new APRC, it's free of charge ...
I had my APRC for about 2 months now, got one of these new 'Biometric' passports, a requirement worldwide soon ... which changed my passport number and makes the APRC basically 'invalid'.

Huh? invalid? Oh sweet . . . . Are you sure. I must be missing something here. (Which happens from time to time)


When your current passport expires and you need to get a new one, you will get a new passport number. So, upon receiving your new passport with new passport number, you need to take the old passport and your new passport to the NIA to get a new APRC which reflects your new passport and passport number. There is no charge to get a new APRC when your passport number changes. However, if you don't update your APRC with your new passport number, you'll probably have difficulty re-entering Taiwan with your new passport and new passport number inconjuction with your APRC and the old passport number.

Also, you also need to get an updated Open-Work Permit which reflects your new passport number as well.

OK?



You have a better way with the written word ... :)
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 11081
Joined: 31 Oct 2004, 19:39
Location: High ground
2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby kitkat » 03 Feb 2012, 14:14

So, I just got rejected for my APRC again, which sucks for me, but the reason might be useful for others....

According to article 31 of the immigration act an overstay of less than thirty days means you add one extra year onto your required period of residency. So the five year requirement becomes a six-year requirement.

In my case my work permit (reason for residency) was still valid, but I missed the deadline to renew my ARC by eight hours. So even though my ARC was valid on Oct 22, and then revalidated on Oct 23 they still count the missing hours between midnight and the following morning as a one day overstay. (A day which isn't a day...like platform nine and three quarters... :s )

So as far as I can gather, if your reason for residency was unbroken, and your ARC wasn't cancelled and you merely had to pay a fine to revalidate your ARC you don't have to go back to zero on the clock, just add another year.

When the APRC lady told me about this regulation I was surprised, but it turned out she was too, she just remembered that she'd processed my fine a couple of years back, and so checked to see if it might be a problem and discovered this regulation. So AFAIK, this isn't a widely applied regulation, and in most cases it's likely that the application would have just gone through. I was just unlucky.

On the other hand, if you were thinking you'd gone back to zero because of some daft clerical error or oversight that landed you with a fine....hurrah! Just add a year on, presumably.

In retrospect I wish as soon as she'd mentioned that to me I'd changed my address to Taipei County and applied through them.

It's infuriating that I've been here nine and a half years, paid all my taxes etc and still can't get the damn thing, when I met someone the other day who hadn't paid any taxes for three years and still managed to get his application through successfully in Taipei County. ( I know they all go to a central office, but mine most likely wouldn't have had the problem pointed out if I'd applied through Taipei county I'm guessing).

It's not something I would recommend anyone point out to the NIA, unless of course the regulation will work on your favour. Anyway, I hope that my bad news is someone else's good news.

Cheers
Kitkat
kitkat
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 17 Mar 2004, 16:33
Location: Taipei
14 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 03 Feb 2012, 15:07

kitkat wrote:So, I just got rejected for my APRC again, which sucks for me, but the reason might be useful for others....

According to article 31 of the immigration act an overstay of less than thirty days means you add one extra year onto your required period of residency. So the five year requirement becomes a six-year requirement.

In my case my work permit (reason for residency) was still valid, but I missed the deadline to renew my ARC by eight hours. So even though my ARC was valid on Oct 22, and then revalidated on Oct 23 they still count the missing hours between midnight and the following morning as a one day overstay. (A day which isn't a day...like platform nine and three quarters... :s )

So as far as I can gather, if your reason for residency was unbroken, and your ARC wasn't cancelled and you merely had to pay a fine to revalidate your ARC you don't have to go back to zero on the clock, just add another year.

When the APRC lady told me about this regulation I was surprised, but it turned out she was too, she just remembered that she'd processed my fine a couple of years back, and so checked to see if it might be a problem and discovered this regulation. So AFAIK, this isn't a widely applied regulation, and in most cases it's likely that the application would have just gone through. I was just unlucky.

On the other hand, if you were thinking you'd gone back to zero because of some daft clerical error or oversight that landed you with a fine....hurrah! Just add a year on, presumably.

In retrospect I wish as soon as she'd mentioned that to me I'd changed my address to Taipei County and applied through them.

It's infuriating that I've been here nine and a half years, paid all my taxes etc and still can't get the damn thing, when I met someone the other day who hadn't paid any taxes for three years and still managed to get his application through successfully in Taipei County. ( I know they all go to a central office, but mine most likely wouldn't have had the problem pointed out if I'd applied through Taipei county I'm guessing).

It's not something I would recommend anyone point out to the NIA, unless of course the regulation will work on your favour. Anyway, I hope that my bad news is someone else's good news.

Cheers
Kitkat


I'm anal about renewing my ARC on time, and this justifies it--a matter of only hours can screw you. I feel bad for you; at least, like you said, the clock wasn't set back to zero. Thanks for the warning.
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 01:26
Location: Taoyuan
94 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 03 Feb 2012, 15:10

kitkat wrote:In retrospect I wish as soon as she'd mentioned that to me I'd changed my address to Taipei County and applied through them.

It's infuriating that I've been here nine and a half years, paid all my taxes etc and still can't get the damn thing, when I met someone the other day who hadn't paid any taxes for three years and still managed to get his application through successfully in Taipei County. ( I know they all go to a central office, but mine most likely wouldn't have had the problem pointed out if I'd applied through Taipei county I'm guessing).


I'm curious, where did you apply? I'm in Taoyuan County.
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 762
Joined: 05 Jan 2007, 01:26
Location: Taoyuan
94 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Ludovic » 03 Feb 2012, 15:18

yeap, big lessong to learn....don't f... around with overstay and ARC/APRC.

you are very lucky to just one more year instead of going back to zero (happen to me and lost 4 years)

Ludovic
please, describe the Taiwan Laws : tsa pu tuo !
Forumosan avatar
Ludovic
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 06 Oct 2004, 23:57
Location: Tainan



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby kitkat » 03 Feb 2012, 21:11

Steven4language, I applied in Taipei City.

Ludvovic: Yes, okay, I am lucky it doesn't go back to zero, but obviously I wasn't f***ing around. It was a genuine oversight, my work permit was still valid for another 8 months. For the first time ever my work permit and ARC weren't ending on the same day. Arguably the only reason the lady remembered that I'd even got that fine was because I was so upset and worried it would jeopardize me getting an APRC down the line. It might have been nice if someone had discovered the problem before I spent all the money and time getting the documentation together. I did check, and had even applied before with that same 'overstay' on my record, and it had never been mentioned. At least that way I would have just been disappointed rather than disappointed and out of pocket. This is the second time I've been told everything was fine for me to apply, and then been knocked back. It's quite an expensive and time consuming exercise.

Anyway, maybe someone else who is incorrectly told that an overstay of less than 30 days puts them back to zero can use this info for their advantage.

I'm going to go back into my corner and lick my wounds like a spurned lover. And try and work out how I can magic up a NT$5 million bank statement later this year since my boss has already filed my tax for last year, and it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.....I really thought that it was going to go through this time. I am totally crushed. However it is the weekend, and there's no point crying over spilt milk I suppose.
kitkat
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 275
Joined: 17 Mar 2004, 16:33
Location: Taipei
14 Recognized(s)



Re: APRC Application Procedures (Official Checklist)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 03 Feb 2012, 23:42

Man Kitkat. That sucks.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
 
Posts: 1699
Joined: 17 Jul 2006, 21:24
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

You may delay, but time will not -- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN