120 days for a criminal background check from Canada??

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: 120 days for a criminal background check from Canada??

Postby . » 12 Apr 2012, 15:45

Thanks!

The waiting game begins today :pray: :neutral:

Postby . » 12 Apr 2012, 15:47

by the way, you probably know too.. I sent my app for the Taiwan criminal record check on a Friday, got it the following Thursday.

Quick efficiency, what a nuisance... :wink:

Postby bismarck » 13 Apr 2012, 02:53

by the way, you probably know too.. I sent my app for the Taiwan criminal record check on a Friday, got it the following Thursday.

Quick efficiency, what a nuisance... :wink:

Yeah, that's been my experience with Taiwan. They tell you ten working days, and you get it in 3-5. Which is why I merrily renounced and went this way.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby . » 24 Apr 2012, 21:01

Here is the verdict from TECO in Ottawa regarding sending a photocopy of your passport instead of the original passport, just in case anyone else is curious:

If you were to submit the photocopy of the passport, please note that it has to be the notarized first by the Canadian Trade Office in Taipei (CTOT, http://www.canada.org.tw/taiwan/menu.aspx), and then authenticated by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taipei (http://www.boca.gov.tw) as proof of the identity.

Please note that if you want it sent back express to Taiwan, include an additional $60 CAD, if you prefer regular air mail include an additional $2.03 CAD. This office is not responsible for delayed, lost, or stolen items sent by mail at the applicant’s request.

Regards,

駐加拿大臺北經濟文化代表處 服務組

Services Division
Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Canada

Postby . » 04 May 2012, 11:46

6-month visitor visa was about to expire (next week) without my ARC yet (b/c RCMP criminal record check not back yet) so went to immigration police with husband today... Canadians don't need a criminal record check anymore :eek: really lucky.. I was jut gonna try to get an extension until my criminal record check came... so that running around looking for a bank-- not necessary including money spent on it :lol: . ARC in process and can go pick it up in a week or two.

Good news for us!

Postby delieadalish » 10 Jul 2012, 00:49

fudge and other edited explitives. I just wrote something and then somehow retardedly closed the browser on myself.. it was like slow motion ... nooooo. thump (sound of my head hitting my desk).

Anyway I've been searching for information, and a lot of what I have found is frustratingly out of date or inaccurate. That or three different (equally reliable) sources tell me three different things. Le sigh.

If I had the money, I would just hop on a plane to Canada and do the digital thing, honestly I'm still thinking about it.

Anyway after playing the run around game with the office here in Taipei (helpful but not fully informed) and calling the RCMP (as suggested by the trade office) and getting shipped around to 4 diff people. None of whom knew what I wanted to know. I finally begged to give an officer my email address and have him ask someone who DID know something to contact me.
Shockingly this worked (no idea how)

And I found out you can also send a American Express travelers cheque instead of a money order. I'm going to try this.

But what I haven't seen or gotten an answer on, is can I have the RCMP send the Criminal record check directly to the TECO office in Vancouver? And I just mail the documents and whatsits they need directly to them from Taiwan? (so they won't receive it all in the same envelope but they should get it all. or is this suicide?)
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby delieadalish » 11 Jul 2012, 17:48

Hold the phone... look at what I just found... it seems it might be possible to mail in physical print but have them digitized to speed the process.

I am so going to investigate this option!!!
http://canadianlegal.org/fingerprintin/ ... ing-times/
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish

1 Recognized(s)

Postby delieadalish » 13 Jul 2012, 00:19

investigated and seems all good.. I'm going to do it and I'll let you know what happens.. I'm delighted
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish

1 Recognized(s)

Postby delieadalish » 14 Jul 2012, 08:34

Not that anyone else seems to be in this thread... but I just used the above link (I called to confirm it wasn't too good to be true)

And this is the deal, first way easier to pay.. you can pay them by credit card. You pay an extra 50 bucks and change (fucking Canada and the plus tax.. really on a fucking service.. whatever).

You get the fingerprinting document from The Canadian Trade office.. (grab a bunch bc they don't care and the NIA will take the left overs) I got three just in case.

Print some release form from the law office (call them and they will email you) , and photo copy two forms of Canadian ID I used my Drivers licence and my passport.

Go to the NIA, and go downstairs (in taipei) counter 58, the super nice agent will help you fingerprint yourself. I did two forms because I changed my name once in the past. but it was a really long time ago.. so sometimes there are issues and sometimes there aren't. That cost 100nt per set..

The I walked the 5 steps to the post office, the one on the same floor of the NIA, and couriered it to their office. Cost 300nt will take 3-5 days. (... and the length of that depends entirely on Canada post. It was on a plane to Canada by 930 pm that evening.) I sent it to the woman in the office that I had spoken with that day before. Also to make sure I hadn't made any mistakes, I took photos of every document and of my ID as well and emailed that all to their office. While I was sleeping they confirmed that the photos looked good and that I had included everything needed.

Now I wait. She told me depending on when my documents arrive at their office, I (my friend I'm having it sent to in Canada) may have my criminal record check as early as (I sent it july 13th) july 24rd or 25th. As long as I don't have a record (I don't) the latest July August 3rd.

So how this is being fast tracked is they have(or at least access to) a special (accepted by the RCMP) Machine that can scan your paper prints into the correct digital format so you can do the digital fasty fasty criminal record check WITHOUT being in Canada.

WIN
Ah, Brazil. ;)
delieadalish

1 Recognized(s)

Postby shirley s » 03 Aug 2012, 16:20

Just wondering. I think I didn't get the right document. I got a police check from the RCMP, but no fingerprinting was involved. Do we really need to do the fingerprinting??
Thanks in advance.
shirley s
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues