Doing a Visa Run to Hong Kong... Things You Need to Know

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Doing a Visa Run to Hong Kong... Things You Need to Know

Postby Jerome Morrow » 13 Oct 2011, 10:11

tommy525 wrote:dont know why u need an onward ticket if you are getting a joining family visa??? U are married to a taiwnese, why the need for an onward ticket?

silly silly taiwanese govt rules. They do all this shitzle just to keep the civil servants busy.

Not ruled in place by Taiwan gov Tommy.

All airlines are supposed to check that a person who does not hold residency or citizenship of the country they are travelling to possess an onwards ticket. This is because if they are refused entry ( being married to a citizen of the destination country isn't enough ) they can be put on a plane out at the passangers cost. Governments and airlines don't give freebies.
Jerome Morrow
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby tommy525 » 13 Oct 2011, 14:06

I guess that makes sense.

I wonder if this is the same for all countries ? LIke for example tourists to the USA, do they have to have onward tickets?
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
315 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 13 Oct 2011, 22:52

tommy525 wrote:I guess that makes sense.

I wonder if this is the same for all countries ? LIke for example tourists to the USA, do they have to have onward tickets?

Yes. the rule is that they have to have onward tickets.

the funny thing is that it's called a JF RESIDENT Visa but you still need to do the add'l step of getting the ARC to avoid the onward ticket req't. At least AFAIK.
Abacus
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

88 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby cebutotaichung11 » 14 Nov 2011, 09:58

I plan to visit HK's TECO in two weeks for a 60-day extendable visitor's visa for the purpose of moving to a resident visa, work permit and ARC. Has anyone been recently and noted any changes since ImaniOU's very detailed post?

I recently came back from a run to Manila, and visited TECO in Makati for some info on doing the same there. They go so far as to require a letter from the CLA! Apparently, they have very stringent rules there.

In short, has anyone been through HK and had an experience different from what ImaniOU describes?

Thanks. :eh:
cebutotaichung11
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Abacus » 14 Nov 2011, 10:18

Don't plan on getting an extendable visitor's visa. I was there in May and received a 6 month multiple entry (edit - 60 day) visitor visa. And there was nowhere on the form to request extendable or a longer length. But you'll be able to convert this to a resident visa and ARC without leaving Taiwan.
Abacus

88 Recommends(s)
100 Recognized(s)

Postby babypillow » 14 Feb 2012, 02:16

many thanks for this useful information!! need it as going to HK soon!
babypillow

Postby Oxidda » 25 Feb 2012, 14:18

Hi there, very very interesting topic, worth gold for me. So thanks a lot to all. I have just a little question: if my resident visa is denied (I'm a student), is it still possible to do a visa run and get a new visitor visa extendable ? Because I guess I have to check on the form that I was denied a visa before and make a paper explaining why no ? Thanks a lot in advance !
包吃包住
Oxidda

Postby bumclouds » 25 Feb 2012, 18:43

^ We need a bit more information.

Are you banned from visa-exempt entry at the moment? What kind of resident visa are you applying for, student or working? how much longer does your current student visitors visa last for?
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

87 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby Oxidda » 25 Feb 2012, 19:28

bumclouds wrote:^ We need a bit more information.

Are you banned from visa-exempt entry at the moment? What kind of resident visa are you applying for, student or working? how much longer does your current student visitors visa last for?

No, I'm far from being banned for visa exemption fortunately, just I'm afraid to have my resident visa denied. Actually, I'm a student learning chinese with a visitor visa multiple entries. When this visa was finished, I went to apply for a resident visa multiple entries to keep going my studies for the rest of the year. So what was why I was asking. Thanks a bunch ! so can I do a visa run in your opinion ?
包吃包住
Oxidda

Postby bumclouds » 26 Feb 2012, 03:05

Why are you worried about your ARC getting denied?
I don't think you're at any risk of getting denied unless your attendance is really, really bad.

Student visitor visas are extendable only up to 180 days, as far as I'm aware.
Your warning level: [3]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds

87 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Visa & Residency Issues