Doing a Visa Run to Hong Kong... Things You Need to Know

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Doing a Visa Run to Hong Kong... Things You Need to Know

Postby Oxidda » 26 Feb 2012, 09:54

I'm afraid so because my attendance is like 87% (I prefered to travel for some days) and i just put on my bank account something like more than 50,000 ntds. So I'm kinda prepared to be denied the resident visa :/
包吃包住
Oxidda
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby bumclouds » 26 Feb 2012, 22:13

So each month you missed 2 or 3 days? About 8 to 9 days per 3-month semester. I've seen worse.

I wouldn't stress too much if I were you. When is your 180 days due to finish? Call NIA on Wednesday morning and ask them what the minimum attendance requirements are.

If your attendance is just slightly below the threshold, you can ask your very nice Chinese teacher at school to assist you in averting some possible immigration difficulties. They usually don't mind.
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

102 Recommends(s)
87 Recognized(s)

Postby mikelc » 07 Mar 2012, 12:05

Great Thread.

A question somebody asked back on page 3 or 4 that I didn't see answered was about how to count the 30 days on a visa exempt entry.

For example, if someone arrives on March 1st, would they need to exit the country on March 30th or 31st?
mikelc

Postby dashgalaxy86 » 24 Mar 2012, 08:41

I suggest staying at a hostel on Nathan Road around Chungking (Chongqing) Mansions. It's not far from Admiralty MRT (just a few stops) and infinitely cheaper than staying at a hotel, if money is an issue. Of course you have to watch out for all the seedy types out there but keep on guard and you'll be fine.

If you want just a visitor's visa, of course the easiest way is to get a letter of invitation from a Taiwanese citizen and plane ticket with an exit date out of Taiwan (refundable :cool: ). No need to "kill them with paperwork". That visitor's visa still can be changed to a resident visa and get you work permits despite the pretenses of the initial visitor's visa.
dashgalaxy86
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Forze » 09 Apr 2012, 01:13

Hey,

So good news is that I am coming back to Taiwan, I am not yet sure for how long. I was exchange student in Taipei for 10months in 2010-2011. Now I am exchange in Shanghai for 3months . I applied for internship place in Taipei, and I have good feeling that they will pick me for the job. The problem is that internship would start at august, I would not like to go to back to Finland for summer time, I prefer to study Chinese for summer and after that to do my Internship (6months). So should i just come without visa to Taiwan, go to some school and pay tuition for 2-3 months and change my visa to "student visa". Can I later extend it for "working visa".

Do I need flight away from Taiwan when I enter without visa?

Ps. Will some universities take me in, if I just go to the school office with "turist visa" and pay for tuition? Was thinking to go to study for same university where i used to because it's sister uni for my home university.

Best Regards,
Matti
Forze
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby xabie » 27 May 2012, 00:24

Hi,

This has been a very useful thread for me! Thank you!

My question is this:

I'm currently working in Taiwan (ARC) and I want my boyfriend (holds a US passport) to come stay with me for an extended period of time.

We are currently considering applying for a 60 day multiple re-entry visitor visa in Hong Kong.

Here's what we're thinking of bringing:
1) 2 passport photos (2 inch)
2) Letter of invitation (written by me)
3) Bank statement (currently about US2000)
4) Copy of my ARC
5) Itinerary of flight out of Taiwan

Is this a sufficient reason for them to grant him a visa? What else should we bring along? Should there be more money on the bank statement, and if so, what is a safe amount?

Thank you!
xabie

Postby gavmasterflash » 26 Jul 2012, 17:22

Hello,

I have a pretty unusual situation here.

I arrived in Taiwan July 1st. My job and therefore my visa got botched by a recruiter who didn't know what he was doing. I needed a new job. I got one and there has not been enough time to get my visa processed. I am from the US so I only have 30 days. I also need to be in the country for 184 days, July 1st - Dec. 31st in order to qualify for the tax break.

I got a flight booked for Hong Kong on Saturday. I will go there and then come back the same day. I only have two hours between my flights. Do I actually need to get a stamp in Hong Kong on my passport, or could I just kick around the terminal and get back on the plane? Will the customs officials want to see where I was last on my passport? Will they even care when I get back to Taiwan? Will they just stamp my passport regardless since I am entering the country?

I have been hearing so many things about documents on this thread. I have entered Taiwan three times in my life, twice as a tourist and now to work. All times I have never been questioned when getting my passport stamped. They have all been very straight forward. Is any of that really necessary? Should I have my work contract with me just in case, or any other documents?

If I do need the stamp in Hong Kong, I heard from one of my coworkers there is some place inside where you can get a stamp without having to leave the airport. Is this so? If not, would two hours be enough to disembark, go through customs, turn around, check in, go through security and customs again and be on time for boarding the plane?

Hope anyone can help with some good info. on this crazy situation. Thanks in advance.
gavmasterflash
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Jul 2012

Postby tommy525 » 27 Jul 2012, 02:43

gavmasterflash wrote:Hello,

I have a pretty unusual situation here.

I arrived in Taiwan July 1st. My job and therefore my visa got botched by a recruiter who didn't know what he was doing. I needed a new job. I got one and there has not been enough time to get my visa processed. I am from the US so I only have 30 days. I also need to be in the country for 184 days, July 1st - Dec. 31st in order to qualify for the tax break.

I got a flight booked for Hong Kong on Saturday. I will go there and then come back the same day. I only have two hours between my flights. Do I actually need to get a stamp in Hong Kong on my passport, or could I just kick around the terminal and get back on the plane? Will the customs officials want to see where I was last on my passport? Will they even care when I get back to Taiwan? Will they just stamp my passport regardless since I am entering the country?

I have been hearing so many things about documents on this thread. I have entered Taiwan three times in my life, twice as a tourist and now to work. All times I have never been questioned when getting my passport stamped. They have all been very straight forward. Is any of that really necessary? Should I have my work contract with me just in case, or any other documents?

If I do need the stamp in Hong Kong, I heard from one of my coworkers there is some place inside where you can get a stamp without having to leave the airport. Is this so? If not, would two hours be enough to disembark, go through customs, turn around, check in, go through security and customs again and be on time for boarding the plane?

Hope anyone can help with some good info. on this crazy situation. Thanks in advance.

Many people do same day visa runs to HK without leaving the terminal or officially entering HK even. Get two boarding passes in Taipei and show them to Taipei Immigration if asked. To be safe, you can just enter HK and come right back into the terminal and then you have your stamps.

HK airport is usually pretty quick . If your flight is not delayed you could do it in two hours. But once again, TPE is more concerned you got the exit stamp. Far as they are concerned you LEFT the country after that stamp is put on.

You just cant immediately enter without flying out. And your boarding passes should be proof of that.

BUt if time permits, Id go thru Immigration in HK and right back in to get those stamps and eliminate that worry.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Jul 2012, 02:46

xabie wrote:Hi,

This has been a very useful thread for me! Thank you!

My question is this:

I'm currently working in Taiwan (ARC) and I want my boyfriend (holds a US passport) to come stay with me for an extended period of time.

We are currently considering applying for a 60 day multiple re-entry visitor visa in Hong Kong.

Here's what we're thinking of bringing:
1) 2 passport photos (2 inch)
2) Letter of invitation (written by me)
3) Bank statement (currently about US2000)
4) Copy of my ARC
5) Itinerary of flight out of Taiwan

Is this a sufficient reason for them to grant him a visa? What else should we bring along? Should there be more money on the bank statement, and if so, what is a safe amount?

Thank you!

You have an ARC but a boyfriend or girlfriend holds no weight. IF he was married to you he can get a visa based on your ARC (but cant work without getting his own ). A boyfriend has no special rights. He is an American. So he can get 30 days visa free entry. He can go back out and come back in any number of times. OR you can have him get a Tourist Visa in the USA before he arrives. This allows 60 days per stay and in theory can be extended. But in practice an extension is very hard to get. But that means he can leave and come back every sixty days. Better then 30. IF he has a MULTIPLE ENTRY visa , as most will have, he can come back in without getting another visa.

Or you can enroll him in chinese studies (but he actually has to go to the classes) to get an ARC based on chinese studies.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Jul 2012, 02:49

Forze wrote:Hey,

So good news is that I am coming back to Taiwan, I am not yet sure for how long. I was exchange student in Taipei for 10months in 2010-2011. Now I am exchange in Shanghai for 3months . I applied for internship place in Taipei, and I have good feeling that they will pick me for the job. The problem is that internship would start at august, I would not like to go to back to Finland for summer time, I prefer to study Chinese for summer and after that to do my Internship (6months). So should i just come without visa to Taiwan, go to some school and pay tuition for 2-3 months and change my visa to "student visa". Can I later extend it for "working visa".

Do I need flight away from Taiwan when I enter without visa?

Ps. Will some universities take me in, if I just go to the school office with "turist visa" and pay for tuition? Was thinking to go to study for same university where i used to because it's sister uni for my home university.

Best Regards,
Matti

Check to see if Finland gets 90 days visa free to Taiwan. Many europeans do (shengen countries) . This solves your problem if you get 90 days Visa Free . Get there stay 90 , go back out and come back in on the sponsored visa. Just go to HK or other nearby places.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues