Changing Address on ARC

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Changing Address on ARC

Postby bismarck » 17 Mar 2012, 00:15

arthurs keep wrote:
bismarck wrote:
stig wrote:Why bother? I like it when the cops don't know where I live.

Because if they send you a notification and it gets sent back to them by someone (like a doorman) you get a fine.

I moved and never told them they sent notifications, later FAP fined me NT$8,000 more or less cant remember exact amount :fume: :fume:

Happened to me too once, which is why I know they will catch you out at some point.

But no one ever listens here, then they whine when they get screwed. :idunno:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby Lisi » 02 May 2012, 17:05

Hello,

this thread seems to be the right one for my two questions:

1. I am about to move to a new apartment, but before I actually do this I will go home to Europe for about two weeks. I originally planned to go the Immigration Office just before I leave the country, apply for the address change on my ARC, and pick it up after I come back to Taipei (to safe time because I have got to change my mailing address at a couple of institutions and don't want letters to get lost, i.e. be sent to my old address when I no longer live there). However, my roommate just told me that they might first take away my old ARC, which would leave me without ARC for some time (including my leaving and re-entering the country) - that's not so good, right? Does the Immigration Office actually do this? If yes, I suppose I'd better wait until after my trip home for the whole process, right? How long does an address change on ARC usually take anyway?

2. The apartment I'm going to move in is actually on the 5th floor but I don't have my own mailbox, so my mail will go into the one for the 4th floor - which is also what my landlord told me to use as address. I actually don't care about this but I now worry whether the Immigration Office might want to see my lease agreement (where there is written "5th floor") - and then everything might get complicated. ;) When I first applied for ARC last August, the guy there (at Taipei City) did not want to see any prove that I actually lived at the address I told him, but my friend who registered in New Taipei City had to bring a confirmation from her landlord (which was quite a hassle). Do you have any suggestions what I should do?

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
Stinky Tofu scares mosquitoes away. :)
Forumosan avatar
Lisi
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby 914 » 03 May 2012, 14:21

As far as I'm aware, you must notify the appropriate authorities within 15 days of moving of your new address. The fine is nt$2000 if you do it later. We moved into a different unit in the same building and didn't notify our accountants until a month later. Granted, we had people process the change of address for our arc for us. Our accts said it would've cost $8000 nt fine for our family of four, but the nia waived it. Could be it was during new year...we had to resubmit everything ie. lease, old arc. Took about a week to get new arc with new address, but all other info and pic remained the same. :D
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Postby Lisi » 03 May 2012, 14:38

Thanks a lot for the reply and especially for reminding me of the 15 days limit, I didn't think of that! My lease according to the contract will start on 20 of May so I guess I will just go then to change my ARC. I will just ask my landlord what I should do about the "4th/5th floor problem", I guess.
Forumosan avatar
Lisi

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Gits Ferrari » 06 Nov 2012, 02:23

What about if you move into a new address, yet simultaneously keep the old address? Oops? Can't have two addresses simultaneously? Fuck the man.
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99 http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99 http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta
Forumosan avatar
Gits Ferrari

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 18 Nov 2012, 01:17

I am moving next week and need to notify immigration. Is there any way I can do the change of address without actually going to immigration? I was told they only open M-F and I think their hours of operation are the same hours I am working so there's no way I can make it there. Do I need to take a day off work to take care of this? Also, is there a fee for changing an address? would it require them to reissue a new ARC card?
Ovechkin
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Confuzius » 18 Nov 2012, 01:22

Gits Ferrari wrote:What about if you move into a new address, yet simultaneously keep the old address? Oops? Can't have two addresses simultaneously? Fuck the man.

That sorta happened to me...

My leases overlapped by one month. So I took both to NIA, to show that though my new address changed well before 15 days ago, I still maintained the former address.

I did not get fined, but, when I went to pickup my ARC like a week later, they "couldn't find it" at first, then told me to go sit and wait in the consultation room where people have problems with their immigration status (YIKES!).

Waited 10 minutes...a dude brought me my ARC.

Dunno wtf that was about.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Lisi » 18 Nov 2012, 13:27

Ovechkin wrote:I am moving next week and need to notify immigration. Is there any way I can do the change of address without actually going to immigration? I was told they only open M-F and I think their hours of operation are the same hours I am working so there's no way I can make it there. Do I need to take a day off work to take care of this? Also, is there a fee for changing an address? would it require them to reissue a new ARC card?

Since they print your new address on the new card they will issue a new one. I actually needed to change my ARC two times in the last 6 months so I try not to mix up the procedures here, but as far as I remember there is no fee for only changing an address. You need to fill out this general application form anyway, though, so you might need a photo (I can't remember whether I needed one at that time, sorry! But I guess so as there is a blank on that form ;)). My address change in May (see above), btw, went very smoothly, no problems at all. Thank you guys for your advice back then! :thumbsup:

Sorry, I can't tell you whether it's possible to send a proxy to do the procedure for you, though.
Forumosan avatar
Lisi

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Ovechkin » 18 Nov 2012, 22:45

Thanks, maybe I should call and ask? =X
Ovechkin

Postby Lisi » 18 Nov 2012, 22:59

Ovechkin wrote:Thanks, maybe I should call and ask? =X

This might be a revolutionary idea. Hahaha! :)

Edit: If you do, could you please post the information here as well? Because I'd actually be interested in it. Thanks! :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
Lisi

5 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues