Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Non-native seeking teaching job and visa

Short-term and long-term visas, application requirements, waiting times, advantages and disadvantages of stay vs. resident visas, who needs an ARC, and why do people opt for permanent residency
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Non-native seeking teaching job and visa

Postby helenlily » 12 May 2011, 20:24

Bonjour
I am a French English teacher, I wish to settle down and work in Taiwan in September. I'm hoping to be able to get a working visa.
I have a green card (my husband is Texan.) and I've been told that a TEFL/TESOL would greatly help? Would it get me a visa do you think? What are my chances? What is the best thing that I could do now to help my situation? ( I don't have any teaching certificate yet)
Thank you
helenlily
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Non-native seeking teaching job and visa

Postby bababa » 12 May 2011, 20:51

You're supposed to have a passport from one of the officially approved English-speaking countries - for example, the USA - not just a green card. Still, that's just for a legal job. You should be able to get an illegal job no problem. I interviewed at one school where the owner was very proud that their English teacher had a green card; he seemed to think that meant the guy was an American.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 12 May 2011, 21:54

I would consider it unlikely that you'll be able to get a legal job since the only legal job is teaching French. but if your husband is working then you should get an ARC/NHI and don't have to worry about visa runs. And I'm pretty sure that kindergartens would hire you although it would be illegal and you would face deportation if caught.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

121 Recommends(s)
129 Recognized(s)

Postby helenlily » 17 May 2011, 00:03

Thank you.
I guess I could start with an illegal job and no visa run since my husband's visa will allow me to stay.
And so you think that even a green card combined with a teaching certificate would not increase my chances?
I would love to heat that is does, it's my optimistic side.
helenlily

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby steelersman » 17 May 2011, 00:06

Your best bet would be to get qualified to teach French. Then you could find a legal job as a French teacher.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 17 May 2011, 00:17

helenlily wrote:Thank you.
I guess I could start with an illegal job and no visa run since my husband's visa will allow me to stay.
And so you think that even a green card combined with a teaching certificate would not increase my chances?

It doesn't. The laws are pretty clear that you have to be from one of the six countries that are considered native speaking. You could get a job to teach French like was suggested but I'm guessing that you would probably be looking at 4-6 hours/wk since there isn't that much demand. The other option is to start setting up privates (also illegal but difficult to bust) in French or English. the important thing is that you have an ARC thru your husband though.
Abacus

121 Recommends(s)
129 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 17 May 2011, 00:34

Abacus wrote:
helenlily wrote:Thank you.

It doesn't. The laws are pretty clear that you have to be from one of the six countries that are considered native speaking. You could get a job to teach French like was suggested but I'm guessing that you would probably be looking at 4-6 hours/wk since there isn't that much demand. The other option is to start setting up privates (also illegal but difficult to bust) in French or English. the important thing is that you have an ARC thru your husband though.

There are some French cram schools. One may be able to find more than six hours of work a week but you will probably definitely have to live in Taipei.

Your best bet would be to try to get an M.A. in Teaching French before you head over if you have the time and resources. Then you might land a job teaching French at a university.
steelersman

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby helenlily » 18 May 2011, 13:12

I unfortunately do not have the time or resources to get any certificate in French right now and I am in India.

I'll definitely get a legal stay through my husband and then.. well, here and there I will work for sure. I feel confident to be able to get hired and/or do privates.

Thanks for your help everyone :bow: :thumbsup:
helenlily

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 18 May 2011, 13:35

Yes, you'll get a Joining Family Residence Visa based on your husband's status. But you need to remember that as he is not a Taiwan national, your JFRV does NOT entitle you to work. It only allows you to stay here with him. So anything you do work-wise will be illegal unless you get your own work permit, etc.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby guyondebike » 22 May 2011, 21:00

JFRV does give you open work rights same as a Taiwanese,you just need to be a teacher to teach any language,if your school gets raided you will be ok as your legally here,unlike teachers on a tourist visa with NO work permit ARC etc
guyondebike
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Visa & Residency Issues