How to file taxes for 8 years

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How to file taxes for 8 years

Postby Asp » 06 Jul 2012, 17:12

I am wondering how to get my tax situation up to date. I last filled about 8 years ago (thought I was leaving then) but (LOL) I am still here. I would like to get an ARC so I would need to sort this out. Any ideas how I should approach this?
Asp
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: How to file taxes for 8 years

Postby Kea » 06 Jul 2012, 17:35

1. You can only file back 5 years due the Taiwan's weird computer tax systrem
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 06 Jul 2012, 17:50

Asp wrote:I am wondering how to get my tax situation up to date. I last filled about 8 years ago (thought I was leaving then) but (LOL) I am still here. I would like to get an ARC so I would need to sort this out. Any ideas how I should approach this?

So, as I understand from your post you worked illegally for 8 years, now you want an ARC and want to clear-up your taxes from illegal work? If that's the case, good luck!
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby Asp » 06 Jul 2012, 18:55

Don't assume anything Belgian Pie and try not to judge. I have worked in various capacities while being here, and not all the last 8 years have I spent in Taiwan. Also the tax office does not care where you make your money so long as you file each year. Please if anyone has any advice that is constructive please pass it along. Thanks in advance.
Asp

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tomthorne » 06 Jul 2012, 19:10

Asp wrote:Don't assume anything Belgian Pie and try not to judge. I have worked in various capacities while being here, and not all the last 8 years have I spent in Taiwan. Also the tax office does not care where you make your money so long as you file each year. Please if anyone has any advice that is constructive please pass it along. Thanks in advance.

Constructive? You just need to go to your local tax office and explain your situation. Assuming you've been earning legally for the period you have been in Taiwan then you'll only get a fine. You currently hold a work permit of some sort, yeah?
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby cake » 06 Jul 2012, 21:55

You go to the tax office and ask questions. Don't give them your details. Just have a list of questions and ask.

A friend told me they like it if you are 'honest' and are willing to pay your taxes. Any high end 'employment' will incur a higher tax rate. i.e. they won't believe you if you say you were a consultant earning just 30K/month or were unemployed.
The 5 year rule - never heard that before.

Keep us posted. I am curious myself.
cake

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
21 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 08 Jul 2012, 23:44

If in Taipei area, I would suggest the tax office in Banqiao. Easy walk across the street and down a block from Banqiao Train Station, across from FE21. Go to the 3rd floor and you will most likely be met by Mrs Pan. She is a very good friend and is very helpful. Just explain that you are trying to clean all this up and would really like her assistance. Just be open and honest. The worst that can happen, if it's really bad, is a trip out. However, if this keeps going in a bad way, that's going to happen anyway. My guess is that she will just help you sort through filing the forms. It may take more than one trip because I don't think you have all the records your going to need. Just take what you have and she may allow estimates on the other stuff. At this point, I wouldn't worry about rental deductions and the like. Just try for the basics without a lot of other issues getting in the way.
I know the downside of all this and I'm not being judgmental but the mirror is on the wall.
I really think though that she will help you out of the jam.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 08 Jul 2012, 23:52

Once you get it sorted, be sure to ask for the A4 blue tax forms that show you have paid, Get your ARC ASAP and as soon as you have it in hand, go see about getting an APRC. With ARC in hand, more than 5 years taxes having been paid, you may qualify. Other stuff needs to be done too but the lady on the 2d floor at immigration on Minzu Rd in Banqiao will give your passport a quick review and my guess is, assuming things work out at the tax office, you may qualify. (Can't have been out of Taiwan more than 183? days at any given time during the past 5 years) Others may have better information about this point but it sounds from what you said, assuming the tax thing works out and ARC in hand, you may be ok.
EDIT: BTW, from the sounds of your posts, you may also qualify under more lenient rules. These pertain to special talents and occupational areas that Taiwan is desierous of. (Mrs. Phillips - 3rd grade - would kill me for ending a sentence with a preposition) Anyway, inquire at immigration if you get that far.
Good luck!
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel
2Enigma

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Taxes