Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Claiming residency on taxes

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Claiming residency on taxes

Postby Kerui » 30 Jul 2012, 07:35

Recently, I received a teaching position for a private school (though not 補習班), in Taiwan.

For about 3.5 years, I've moved to various places, and over that time made varying amounts of money. My first apartment gave me the proper forms to claim residency, so it was no big deal.

My second apartment gave me receipts of payment, but did not give me the proper form (I don't remember what it is or what it looks like). However, I gave the tax office my "奇怪 looking receipts" and claimed my apartment as deductible.

After, I moved to a new area of town.

My current landlord informed me that they don't pay taxes on the building. I suppose that means that they won't be giving me a form for my taxes unless I pay them extra money (that seems to be the case for other people on here).

My questions are:
1) Should I just submit my lease come tax time? (They sign it every time I make a payment.)
2) After submitting said lease, what is the likelihood that the tax bureau will actually go investigating my landlord? (Do they actually do that?)
3) If I didn't move, and the tax bureau did investigate my landlord, could he evict me from my apartment? (I'm not very trusting of what is legal versus illegal, here.)

I ask because it would suck not being able to claim my residence on my taxes.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Jan 2008, 00:04
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Claiming residency on taxes

Postby 2Enigma » 31 Jul 2012, 16:16

My landlord gives me my copy of the conracts and I collect my ATM transfer receipts for the tax office. (15k per month). It increases my return by about 3,000 NT. If push came to shove, the tax office will take your docs, give the deduction and send a letter to your landlord about the lack of reported income. Is 3,000 NT deduction worth a move and all the other hassles involved? If it were me, I would just count my rent 250 NT more than it really is and forgert the deduction. The legal problem rests with your landlord. After you make copies of all the docs, I really wonder if I'm just going to quit claiming the deduction myself. Keep in mind, you need the information for every day, or part of every month, you paid. needed my contracts for both parts of each year. (Others get by without them and receipts are accepted - not sure why)
Another option is to wait until you move anyway, then go amend the returns. Too late for them to retaliate.
EDIT: BTW, there are more posts about this a little further down the list.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
Posts: 596
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 08:36
Location: 64, northbound, Luchou, in pursuit.
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 3 guests