Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Spouse Visa (JRFV?) Tax Rate and other benefits

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Spouse Visa (JRFV?) Tax Rate and other benefits

Postby Milkybar_Kid » 03 Aug 2011, 18:47


I will be marrying my Taiwanese girlfriend later this year/ earlier this year.

Can anyone tell me how the tax withholding rate will work once I am married. Will I still need to pay the 18 percent for the first 6 months or will I pay my taxes like a Taiwanese?

With a spouse visa do I get any other work related benefits such as paid insurance etc?

High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
Posts: 591
Joined: 24 Apr 2010, 20:15
Location: 高雄

Re: Spouse Visa (JRFV?) Tax Rate and other benefits

Postby UkJenT » 15 Jan 2012, 13:47

Hey Milky,

Your tax withholding rate should be 5% for the entire year, so as soon as you are on a JFRV, your monthly withholding rate should be as any "Taiwanese resident," which is 5%. If not, just make your case that due to your marriage, you are entitled to this rate. I work directly for a public school, so I get that 5% monthly withholding rate. That is pretty much the only benefit you get from being married. That's it. You won't get any benefits such as paid insurance.
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Posts: 117
Joined: 09 May 2008, 08:37

Re: Spouse Visa (JRFV?) Tax Rate and other benefits

Postby killthejoe » 20 Feb 2012, 21:45

Hi there, great tip...I'm in the process of getting my JFRV right now (it's a total headache!!)...The tax withholding tip will come in very handy. Wondering, do either of you know how it works once I have my JFRV? Can I go to and from the country as I please? Could I, for instance, move back to Canada for a few years with my wife and come back to Taiwan with the same JFRV?
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 14
Joined: 31 May 2009, 19:19

Re: Spouse Visa (JRFV?) Tax Rate and other benefits

Postby spaint » 22 Feb 2012, 10:31

There are multiple threads on this issue in this section.




The upshot of it all is that even though you will be classed as Resident in the ROC for the tax year, your employer could decide to be a total dick and continue taxing you at 18% for the first six months of the year.

The evidence you can offer to try and defeat your employer's stance is located here:
Go to the left side, click on 外籍人士稅務問題專欄, click on 外僑稅務QA, then choose the question fourth from the bottom: 所得稅法規定「中華民國境內居住之個人」 與「非中華民國境內居住之個人」如何區分? which should take you here: ... Node=10767

That page says that in order to claim that you are resident in the ROC during a tax year, you must meet one of two criteria: either you are physically present for 183 days or more in a calendar year (impossible to prove before July), or that you are "domiciled" here, regardless of number of days you spend in the country. Since you will be registered on your wife's hujitengben, you should be considered domiciled (the Chinese words are 有住所).
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Posts: 689
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 14:55

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests