Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

New job taxing me 20% after living here for one year

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

New job taxing me 20% after living here for one year

Postby strider » 09 Sep 2011, 12:00

I've been in Taiwan since March of last year, I just took a new job, and my employer is insisting that I must pay the big 20% tax rate. That's not right, right? Do I have any legal backing for insisting that I pay the accurate tax rate?
strider
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: New job taxing me 20% after living here for one year

Postby cfimages » 09 Sep 2011, 12:29

Probably because you started the new job after July 1st. Don't worry, you'll get a good tax return next year so think of it as extra savings.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

199 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Sep 2011, 13:12

IIRC (and sometimes I don't) the company you work for is liable for 20pct flat tax if you should end up leaving the island before 183 days of a calendar year. And therefore it is up to the company to take out 20pct or not until you have worked for them past the magic 183 day period of a CALENDAR YEAR. I understand many companies who you have a track record with will , at their discretion, deduct only normal rate and not the 20pct. But they are on the hook for it if you zip off the wan before staying 183 days or more of that calendar year.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

599 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby BigNoodle » 09 Sep 2011, 15:33

1 - it should be 18% and not 20%
2- it's not about how long you've been working for the company, but how long you've been in Taiwan. bring them official paper stating this and get your money.
Forumosan avatar
BigNoodle
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Sep 2011, 23:43

Yes if you can prove physical presence on the rock over 183 days of that calendar year you are fine, but they are within their rights to charge you foreigner rates next year until you are physically past 183 days of that calendar year, if they want to.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

599 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby strider » 16 Sep 2011, 10:36

Ok well like I said I've been here all this year so far so I am definitely past 183 days... I don't suppose anyone can point me to somewhere I can go and print up the law and bring it to her?
strider

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby super_lucky » 16 Sep 2011, 12:19

strider wrote:Ok well like I said I've been here all this year so far so I am definitely past 183 days... I don't suppose anyone can point me to somewhere I can go and print up the law and bring it to her?

Are you in Taipei City? You might be able to find something here.http://tcgwww.taipei.gov.tw/MP_103012.html

But I would go down to your relevant tax office with all your paperwork (and passport to prove your 183 days) and speak directly to one of the clerks at the foreigner desk. They are very helpful and efficient and will straighten this out, one way or another.

P.S. Unless you're making +990K a year, you should be in the 13% bracket after one year.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby BigNoodle » 16 Sep 2011, 13:42

it's 12% since 2010 !
Forumosan avatar
BigNoodle

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taxes