Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Foreign asset reporting for US citizens

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Foreign asset reporting for US citizens

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Jan 2012, 06:37

Okami wrote:TC, I just blame dipshit politicians. R or D, they just have no clue. It was only due to large corporate lobbying that we didn't lose the 84K overseas income deduction. Then there was the 1099 filing requirement that got canned thankfully.
I'm praying Chinatrust doesn't cancel my bank acct and Visa over this. :pray: My Visa gets cancelled over this, and I'm going all Ted Kaczynski on some politicos. :fume:
Okami -
I hear ya and share your concerns. Its a grim laugh that some do reap the benefits from 'corporate lobbyists' but heck, I'll take what I can get.
For what is worth, the 'overseas deduction' used to be much much larger - around US$130,000 or so. Ahh...the
Happy New Year!
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
Kid Rock - Born Free
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
Isaiah 40:31
User avatar
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
Posts: 16233
Joined: 18 Jun 2004, 17:50
Location: Tainan - The Original Taiwan

Re: Foreign asset reporting for US citizens

Postby Lil' Slugger » 02 Jan 2012, 13:47

fh2000 wrote:This is a filing requirement for IRS along with tax return. The total amount is $50,000 for single, and $100,000 for married filing jointly. ... tion=print

But for folks with a bona fide tax home overseas (according to the above link):

The reporting thresholds for taxpayers living abroad are:

Single taxpayers/married filing separately: $200,000 on the last day of the year or $300,000 anytime during the year.
Married filing jointly living abroad: $400,000 on the last day of the year or $600,000 anytime during the year.

And I *think* they have exceptions for stuff like ownership of a primary residence, though I haven't looked too far into it.
User avatar
Lil' Slugger
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
Posts: 177
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 12:38

Re: Foreign asset reporting for US citizens

Postby EigerMarcus » 02 Jan 2012, 15:18

The link to the instructions for the new filing requirements under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act is:
The link to the form is:

This form must be filed in addition to the FBAR form which is sent separately to the Treasury Department.

The IRS also issued new guidelines on 13 December 2011 for US citizens and dual citizens residing outside of the US:,, ... 88,00.html
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
Posts: 48
Joined: 22 Mar 2011, 17:36

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest