Employer reporting income lower than it is

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Employer reporting income lower than it is

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 19 Jan 2012, 18:04

Thank you for all your responses.

I talked to my boss, and she made it clear that she is not willing to report my full income. She said that if I want to get an APRC eventually, she'll start reporting whatever the minimum for that is, which is still only about 2/3 of my actual salary. I'm really nervous about being in violation of the law, and very worried about the possible consequences that could result. I'm unsure what to do. Is this worth quitting my job over? Right now my boss reports my income as the minimum for getting an ARC, which is in the high 20,000's per month; is this low enough to arouse the suspicion of the tax bureau? What can they do if the suspect something?

I know some of these questions might not have any answers, but any input is appreciated.
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Okami » 19 Jan 2012, 18:14

There are no easy solutions that don't involve you screwing yourself. I know you want to be honest but tax evasion is a time honored Chinese tradition.

I'd make the decision if you want a APRC and then go from there. I really do hope it works out for you in the end. It's hardly reason enough to quit a job over though.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby Beatbox Bandit » 19 Jan 2012, 18:59

Thanks, I appreciate that. I do not plan on getting an APRC (or PARC?). I've only been here for one year, and I plan on leaving this job (most likely Taiwan as well) by September at the latest. I'm totally willing to pay whatever taxes and penalties that I owe (the tax bureau website says it's up to two times the tax evaded) before I leave, but I don't want to screw my boss, but it doesn't sound like this is possible. Oh well, living in another country is tough.
Beatbox Bandit
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Previous

x

Return to Taxes