By what date do I need to go to the Tax Office in Taiwan and file my taxes by?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

By what date do I need to go to the Tax Office in Taiwan and file my taxes by?

Postby Energiepac » 03 Apr 2012, 22:19

By what date do I need to go to the Tax Office in Taiwan and file my taxes by? Is there a deadline like April 15th in the US...

Just missed the 183 day mark last years, so I guess I won't get a refund....
Energiepac
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: By what date do I need to go to the Tax Office in Taiwan and file my taxes by?

Postby CTaitung » 03 Apr 2012, 23:05

Deadline is last day in May. (years years ago used to be last day in March).
Whole month of May is when people start going into their local tax bureau to file.
If you want an idea of what you have to pay, you can go there any time before May (with your receipts if you have them from your employer) and they will help you fill out the tax details. You do NOT have to pay until May31.
So, in theory, you can go there, fill out the form as early as Jan.2 (if you have all your receipts and documents), find out what you need to pay and then pay it on the last day of May and then go in May31 and show them your tax payment (through your bank) and they will issue you an official receipt. However, the longer you wait to do this is May, the longer the waiting lines are and the less "nice" those tax bureau people are, fyi. I usually go in March to get an idea of what I have to pay. No one is there. So, they are extremely helpful and answer all kinds of questions, because there is no one else there at that time.
Bears always roam.
CTaitung
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

2 Recognized(s)

Re: By what date do I need to go to the Tax Office in Taiwan and file my taxes by?

Postby Energiepac » 03 Apr 2012, 23:55

Thank you as this is extremely helpful!!!!
Energiepac

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 04 Apr 2012, 00:08

Officially it is the last day of May but I filed late last year with no grief. Although you probably couldn't get a work permit, renew ARC, or possibly leave the country until you took care of this.

It sucks that you missed the 183 days.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Energiepac » 24 Apr 2012, 14:59

Is this the right location to file my taxes when living in Taipei?

Taipei National Tax Administration. Ministry of Finance
110, Taiwan, Taipei City, Xinyi District, Section 5, Xìnyì Road, 15號4樓
+886 2 2720 1599
Energiepac

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CTaitung » 24 Apr 2012, 15:12

Don't know of that building in Xinyi District, but I am guessing it might be for just government officials.

The only place I've ever filed for taxes in Taipei City is the big Tax Bureau building on the southwest corner of the intersection of Zhongxiao West Road and Chung-Hwa Road. You cannot miss it. Take the MRT to Xi-Men station and start walking north along Zhonghua Road on the west side until Zhongxiao West Road. Has a small water fountain out front.

Conversely, can take MRT to Taipei Train station and walk west along Zhongxiao West Road (on the south side) and take the crosswalk overpass over Chung-Hwa Road.

Hope your wallet is not hurting just thinking about it.
Bears always roam.
CTaitung

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 24 Apr 2012, 20:36

It may also depend on your particular tax office. I drove into the city (not Taipei) last Tuesday with all my paperwork, then had to wait an extra hour for their long lunch break. When they were finally open and had the lights turned back on, they turned me away. They said I have to come back between 5-1 and 5-31. I wasted most of my day and I am still not any closer to filing/paying taxes.

Years ago, when I was early they had me use the previous years forms. I know I will have a tough time explaining that one to nazi's at the IRS but there is nothing I can do. I guess now, if your a few weeks early and they don't have the new forms they just tell you to come back next month.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 24 Apr 2012, 22:53

They turned you away? What if you needed last year's tax form so your school could apply for a new work permit/ARC?

I filed almost a month ago in Kaohsiung.
Abacus

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 25 Apr 2012, 00:50

Abacus wrote:They turned you away? What if you needed last year's tax form so your school could apply for a new work permit/ARC?

Not sure about that, but I would think that if I had the school call and negotiate with her that she would find a way to do it. I would think that they would just need the prior years proof of tax since the 2011 filing doesn't officially start until the first.

She was nice about it, she said sorry and even wrote the 5/1-5/31 down on a piece of paper for me. I was a little perturbed since it wasted the little free time I have during the week but what am I going to do?

I gave up arguing with the twilight zone years ago unless I absolutely have to. Logic doesn't have the same weight here that it does in the normal universe. I will just come back in a few weeks and play her game.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby CTaitung » 25 Apr 2012, 07:15

Homey wrote:
Abacus wrote:They turned you away? What if you needed last year's tax form so your school could apply for a new work permit/ARC?

Not sure about that, but I would think that if I had the school call and negotiate with her that she would find a way to do it. I would think that they would just need the prior years proof of tax since the 2011 filing doesn't officially start until the first.

She was nice about it, she said sorry and even wrote the 5/1-5/31 down on a piece of paper for me. I was a little perturbed since it wasted the little free time I have during the week but what am I going to do?

I gave up arguing with the twilight zone years ago unless I absolutely have to. Logic doesn't have the same weight here that it does in the normal universe. I will just come back in a few weeks and play her game.

Yes, what city was that?
I've gotten previous year's tax receipts as early as February most years, and have filed (in Taipei City at the Zhonghua Road main building) as early as February/March most times and have received the kindest, most patient help from them. I've had over 10+ years of filing experience.
Bears always roam.
CTaitung

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taxes