Office based in US, working remotely in Taiwan

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Office based in US, working remotely in Taiwan

Postby nonredneck » 14 May 2012, 22:37

nonredneck
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

19 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby ahsu2003 » 18 May 2012, 14:07

ballhog409 wrote:I am working remotely for a company with offices in both United States and Taiwan. I have both US and Taiwan citizenship. If I work remotely in Taiwan, is there any tax advantage/disadvantage for my company in the US? I'm trying to pitch the idea to my manager but if I have some concrete advantages gained by my company, that would help my cause (e.g. possible savings because I don't need health insurance, tax savings, etc). Has anyone had to sell this idea? Thanks for your help!

I am not too sure if you have thought proper consultation concerning the potential Taiwan legal and tax implications your employer may be exposed to re: your presence (as its "employee" or "agent") for conducting business in Taiwan. Depending on the nature of business and/or the scope of your authority/functions, you may be deemed as a "business agent" of your US employer in Taiwan. If so, your employer (via you as its "agent") may be obligated to report "corporate" income tax to the local Taiwan tax authroity (either by means of withholding tax or filing a complete corporte income tax return).

It is highly recommended that you seek professional consultation prior to initation of any official activities in Taiwan--or immediately if business has already been commenced.

Regards,
ahsu2003
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 29 May 2009

Postby ballhog409 » 18 May 2012, 21:35

Thanks for the input, guys. My manager is telling me that the way my company works is that they would have to put me on the Taiwan office's payroll and then they will charge back to the US office. Some corporate mumble jumble like that. It will have to make financial sense but I don't know what the financial implications are for the company. If I ever get an answer from our "financial guys," I will post an update and hopefully help someone else in a similar situation. Sounds like in this scenario, my pay will get reported in Taiwan...but I still have to get the approval first.
ballhog409

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ballhog409 » 12 Oct 2012, 13:17

Just want to give a quick update. My move to Taiwan has been approved. My pay will come out of the Taiwan office although they don't want me to go into the office. I guess I am lucky that my company has an office in Taiwan. This way, they don't have to categorize me as an expat. I am just a local employee reporting to the US office. My company is actually paying for all government expenses (health/labor/retirement fees) so I just have to pay income taxes. I believe this is a good deal for me and really does not cost my company too much money (if any).
ballhog409

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Taxes