Do I still have the right to do my own taxes with my wife?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Do I still have the right to do my own taxes with my wife?

Postby jaame » 08 Apr 2012, 21:35

I need some advice or help.

I've been on JFRV since 2008 and worked at the same school the entire time. Since switching to the JFRV my school stopped taking tax off my payslip month by month. I understand that being married means you file your taxes with your wife at the end of the tax year and pay then, not PAYE.

Now my school are saying that the rules have changed as of 2012 and now everyone, locals and foreigners alike, have to do PAYE tax, deducted every month from your pay. I'm not too happy about this because basically I don't trust them.

According to the Information for Foreigners part of the TW immi website, I still have the right to file taxes with my wife at the end of the tax year, but the revision date is 2010 I think.

I also emailed the MoF and they sent me back a very long email in Chinese, which my wife says doesn't make sense to any normal person and it is as if they've simply copied and pasted a large paragraph of the law and sent that. Totally unhelpful, she said.

I have a friend at a a school in Taoyuan City (I'm in Zhongli) and he says he is still not having tax deducted.

My wife also called the Zhongli tax office and was told that everyone has to pay tax monthly now. Unfortunately experience has taught me that most people in the banks and governmental offices in TW don't really know what they are talking about.

PLEASE HELP! Do I still have the right to do my own taxes with my wife or not?
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recognized(s)

Return to Taxes