Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Taxes from a company I don't have a work permit that paid taxes combined with taxes in teaching job.

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Taxes from a company I don't have a work permit that paid taxes combined with taxes in teaching job.

Postby coatca » 02 May 2012, 20:59

Hey everyone,

A little concerned to say the least about this and would really appreciate some advice. I have a teaching position where I've been paid less than NT$25,000 per month and therefore the school has only paid 6% in taxes, even though I've been here less than 183 days in 2011… (I understand this is correct). ARC sponsor is from this school.

Last year I also received a monthly income from a non-teaching position (regular company) and found out they had been paying 20% taxes on this amount since I was a foreigner. I do not have a work permit with them, and was told this was just fine, as long as I have a ARC number… I still don't fully understand all this, but from what I've read at tealit and this forum, this is not legal. At the time I found out about all this it was a little to late.

I went to do my taxes, and they pulled up my wages only from the school as earned income for 2011. I expected them to pull up the wages from the company as well, as it was tied to my ARC number. There were really nice helpers there, and after I gave them a tax slip from my school, they were able to find all the income I've received from the school from a computer (I don't know how as suddenly they came with it). I don't have any tax slips from the other company. I never sat down with anyone at the main counter, as they wanted me to fill out the form first and sign it.

I didn't want to sign the form as this isn't correct as I did earn more last year. I'm in the process of finding out how this company has reported this income, and see if it's any other category than "wages" and something like a "donation" or something else, I dunno…

So my question is this… Should I just sign the form with my school income and not say anything about the other income? Since they had my ARC number etc and only found the income from the school, does that mean that's all the info they have? I just left and told them I would come back as I had to go. Does the tax office care about work permits, or could it be possible for the company to pay me in a way where I don't need it and it's nothing to worry about?

I just want to be legit living here in Taiwan, and want to take care of this. Thanks for you help!
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 May 2012, 19:54
In Taiwan since: 01 Jun 2011

Re: Taxes from a company I don't have a work permit that paid taxes combined with taxes in teaching job.

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 02 May 2012, 21:19

I'm in a similar position and would love to hear how to handle this.
And Coatca, I wouldn't be surprised if that 20% was pocketed by someone other than the government :doh:
My side job didn't pay taxes for me. I'd like to keep everything on the up and up, but will I get in trouble for not having the other work on my arc?
User avatar
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)
Posts: 1436
Joined: 02 Feb 2010, 11:55

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest