Landlord refuses to sign the monthly rent contract...

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Landlord refuses to sign the monthly rent contract...

Postby Makriel » 23 May 2012, 17:50

I'm paying NT$15,500 per month for monthly rent. The tax ladies asked me to bring in my contract because if I don't, they can only claim taxes up to the amount of about 7,000. What to do?
Makriel
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Landlord refuses to sign the monthly rent contract...

Postby superking » 23 May 2012, 18:01

Makriel wrote:I'm paying NT$15,500 per month for monthly rent. The tax ladies asked me to bring in my contract because if I don't, they can only claim taxes up to the amount of about 7,000. What to do?

Ask the tax ladies to write a polite note pointing out what you said above and then take it to your landlord. There should be no reason why they won't sign if it's all legit.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

80 Recommends(s)
303 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 23 May 2012, 18:04

The landlord is likely not paying tax on the rental income. If he agrees to sign it, he'll probably raise your rent to cover his tax bill. More likely he'll just refuse to sign it and tell you that you have to move out.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

182 Recommends(s)
183 Recognized(s)

Postby Makriel » 23 May 2012, 18:18

Ok...I found this: even a ATM receipt that I've paid will be accepted

http://www.ntat.gov.tw/county/ntat_ch/f ... Filing.pdf
Makriel

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby superking » 23 May 2012, 18:28

Makriel wrote:Ok...I found this: even a ATM receipt that I've paid will be accepted

http://www.ntat.gov.tw/county/ntat_ch/f ... Filing.pdf

Phew, well done for finding that out. Just keep in your mind now that your landlords refusal possibly marks them out to be a member of the Shady McShaderson tribe, who are a billion or more strong family, with members worldwide. Keep your eye out for other shifty things in the coming months. I won't go putting thoughts in your head about potentialities, just keep a close eye on them for signs of shiftiness. :D
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking

80 Recommends(s)
303 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 24 May 2012, 19:46

All landlords are shifty, in point of fact. It's merely a question of degree.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

3 Recommends(s)
210 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 24 May 2012, 21:18

But now you'll have pissed off the landlord as soon as he gets contacted by the tax office about how he forgot to declare his rental income ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 24 May 2012, 22:12

Belgian Pie wrote:But now you'll have pissed of the landlord as soon as he gets contacted by the tax office about how he forgot to declare his rental income ...

Yep. Rich people everywhere believe that taxes are only for poor people. Therefore, paying the tax on his rental income is your problem, not his. Kudos to the OP for pointing out to the landlord that, actually, income tax is paid by the person earning that income. However, this will come as an immense surprise to the landlord, and he will take some sort of revenge for your impudence.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 25 May 2012, 01:00

I think most landlords will refuse to declare their rental income. That seems to be common on Taiwan. And you could deduct the rent? Most salary paying stiffs didnt have that luxury. I don't recall a line on the tax statement that i could deduct my rent?

Got the standard deduction and the exemption and all that.

In the usa same thing. No place to deduct your rent, unless you were making poverty wages.

Im talking personal tax here, not business tax.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 25 May 2012, 01:00

I think most landlords will refuse to declare their rental income. That seems to be common on Taiwan. And you could deduct the rent? Most salary paying stiffs didnt have that luxury. I don't recall a line on the tax statement that i could deduct my rent?

Got the standard deduction and the exemption and all that.

In the usa same thing. No place to deduct your rent, unless you were making poverty wages.

Im talking personal tax here, not business tax.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

514 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Taxes