Filing a return while not in Taiwan

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Filing a return while not in Taiwan

Postby pengyou » 23 Jun 2012, 08:11

I had to pay the 18% tax for the first half of this year but was told that next May I can file my tax return and get most of the excess $$ back. What happens if I leave Taiwan this summer and move to another country? Can I file in abstentia? How would this work?

I am sure this question is answered on this forum already but a search brought me too many links to read. Sometimes I wish there would be a great purging on this site....a huge garage sale kind of thing.
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
Posts: 157
Joined: 26 Nov 2011, 19:41
Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)


Re: Filing a return while not in Taiwan

Postby CraigTPE » 24 Jun 2012, 07:20

If you are in Taiwan fewer than 183 days in the calendar year, you are subject to the higher rate. If you are in Taiwan more than 183 days that year, you will qualify for the resident tax rate and get a refund of the difference.
Dream! Explore! Discover!
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Posts: 2942
Joined: 15 Jan 2008, 17:12
91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)



Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

Just putting something into the Trash or the Recycle Bin doesn't actually delete it. You then have to *empty* the Trash or Recycle Bin. (Once a year, I hear about somebody whose hard drive is full, despite having practically no files. It's because over the years, they've put 79 gigabytes' worth of stuff in the Recycle Bin and never emptied it.)
More tips from David Pogue