Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

On-line filing for US taxes?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

On-line filing for US taxes?

Postby scooter » 01 Apr 2004, 14:38

Okay, I've done the required search first, sifted through a couple dozen threads. If I've missed the info I'm looking for, I apologize profusely and ask you to dump this thread and kindly pass me the link. Thank you!

I want to file for FREE online (or with software offline) as an individual taxpayer. I looked at a couple of the sites that the IRS partners with (listed on their webpage http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118508,00.html, and they all seem to be geared toward people living in the US (ie: they ask for your zip code before you begin etc.)

Is there a site that is free and easy to use, and geared toward people living abroad? I need to file a very simple 1040EZ and will not need to pay or get a refund.

Again, thank you kindly.
Forumosan avatar
scooter
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 01 Apr 2004, 20:02

I plan to use TurboTax online this year and then fill out the forms by hand (the IRS was kind enough to send me a packet this year). But I have a more complicated return because of my business.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
78 Recommends(s)
307 Recognized(s)

Postby scooter » 02 Apr 2004, 01:06

Hi Ironlady, thanks for responding. I'm a little confused though, TurboTax be used online for a simple return with out filling out forms by hand? Does it cost anything? thanks a bunch!
Forumosan avatar
scooter

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 02 Apr 2004, 10:15

My understanding is (and I haven't tested this out yet -- probably should have!!) that you can "try" the on-line system free. It will not let you actually file the taxes without paying them. The price they charge for on-line filing seems to be something like US$10 less than the price they would charge for selling you the software (that price is, BTW, tax-deductible! :lol: )

I'm not sure if you can file electronically if you are not a US resident. I was planning on using the on-line service if it seems secure; if not, I'll download the regular TurboTax program and pay the software licensing fee, use it on my own PC, and then probably copy all the figures onto the forms by hand (because my printer isn't working; not their fault.)

I've been using this program for quite a number of years now and I'd never do US taxes without it again. But a simple 1040EZ might not be such a hassle. In my case I've got to do Schedule "C" and I have quite a few sources of income as I'm a freelancer, so it gets more complicated.

HTH
Terry
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
78 Recommends(s)
307 Recognized(s)

Postby scooter » 02 Apr 2004, 10:23

Thanks T,

To answer one of your questions, the IRS says on their web page that people who are eligible to use the PIN number to file (which is only used for electronic filing) include people with overseas addresses. To me this means that people overseas can file electronically. Now if I could just figure out which one is free...

Good Luck.
Forumosan avatar
scooter

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Vannyel » 19 Apr 2004, 20:07

My understanding has always been you can't file your taxes electronically if you live overseas. Maybe I am wrong. But as I said else where, I make no where near US$70,000 and with the automatic two-month extension it takes next to no effort to retrieve the forms from the IRS website, fill them out, and drop them off in the post office. Why waste the money for a computer program or worry about electronic filing unless you are required to pay or get a refund? Just curious as to what the benefit would be scooter? I can see the benefit for Terry (BTW, Scooter, I don't think you can file a 1040EZ but just because you file a 1040 doesn't mean you have to fill out every line -- just the ones that apply :wink: )
Vannyel
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby barfomcgee » 17 Jan 2008, 23:12

I know this is an old topic, but I have a similar question. When filing taxes from abroad, do I need to mail the forms back to the IRS in the US? Or is it possible to bring it to ATI in Taipei instead?
barfomcgee
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby jdsmith » 17 Jan 2008, 23:17

barfomcgee wrote:I know this is an old topic, but I have a similar question. When filing taxes from abroad, do I need to mail the forms back to the IRS in the US? Or is it possible to bring it to AITin Taipei instead?

Just mail them back. Or file via turbotax.

AIT has nothing to do with taxes, except that an IRS guy comes once a year to "help" people who, for example, didn't file for like 7 years.

:oops:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby barfomcgee » 18 Jan 2008, 10:43

Thanks Jd. I was hoping to be able to speak to someone in person about it, since I'll be filing for 2005-2007 and want to make sure everything's ok. But I guess mailing it is the only option.
barfomcgee

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taxes