Taiwan tax: deduction for parents over 60

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Anubis » 18 Apr 2007, 13:34

I filed my tax return just last week and claimed a deduction for both my parents.

I needed two things:

1. My birth certificate (which I got last time I went home)
2. A faxed copy of a recent bank statement from both (as proof that they are still alive)

That's it. Worked for me.

BUT, like david said in an earlier post, it all depends.
Sekhem Em Pet

Taiwan UP
Forumosan avatar
Anubis
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

2 Recommends(s)

thanks

Postby Shawerma » 21 Apr 2007, 20:01

Thanks, Anubis.

My wife and I might still end up claiming her parents. If we don't and use mine, I'll let everyone know how things went.

I'll get the papers ready that you needed beforehand.
Nobody loves me but my mother,
And she could be jivin' too
B.B. King
Shawerma
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

reliable information

Postby Shawerma » 09 May 2007, 22:02

Anubis wrote:I filed my tax return just last week and claimed a deduction for both my parents.

I needed two things:

1. My birth certificate (which I got last time I went home)
2. A faxed copy of a recent bank statement from both (as proof that they are still alive)

That's it. Worked for me.

BUT, like david said in an earlier post, it all depends.

These two documents worked for me too! Thanks again.

My wife, who went to the office to file for us, was questioned about if the recent bank statement was dependable proof that my parents are still around. My wife said "yes" and that was that.

My recommendation would be to bring more than one recently dated document with your parents name on it. Or maybe a photo with them holding up a recent newspaper!
Nobody loves me but my mother,
And she could be jivin' too
B.B. King
Shawerma

Postby xtrain » 21 Jun 2008, 14:47

just as an FYI, we deducted my parents this year after some clarification.

the lady at the office (Zhongli) didn't know what to do - she wanted a "family name book" (hu ji tun bun -sp?) from canada. i tried hard not to guffaw, really. anyways, she took us to the other place to file in Zhongli (where foreigners are supposed to file). talked to a supervisor, who asked us for a copy of their most recent passports, which they had just renewed 5 months earlier, as proof my parents are still with us. nothing else was necessary - it was explained that the tax office is not interested in seeing if you are sending money to them, just making sure they are still alive.

it's a sizeable deduction - 115K per parent when they are over 70 years old (85K for under 70).

great work by the Zhongli tax office ... :notworthy:
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

39 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby citizen k » 22 Jun 2008, 12:12

That's good information. Thanks, x-train.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Chewycorns » 23 Jun 2008, 08:52

You can also deduct your grandparents (not just parents) and as you mentioned, 115,000/NT is nothing to sneeze at.
Forumosan avatar
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

1 Recognized(s)

Re: Taiwan tax: deduction for parents over 60

Postby Mawvellous » 28 May 2012, 16:51

Has anyone claimed this deduction this year?
This year I am claiming for my father - I wired him some money during the year so should be no problem. The deduction for my father was enough to wipe out my tax liabilities.
Next year I also plan to claim for my mother (turning 60 next year) and grandmother (92) if necessary. Will I have to furnish proof that I am supporting them?
Mawvellous
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

2 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Taxes