Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

are you able to get taxed if paid in cash?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

are you able to get taxed if paid in cash?

Postby wcflex » 13 Nov 2002, 23:16

I'm not sure if anyone can help me out with my question, but my situation is as follows:
I'm getting paid in cash at my cram school. But they didnt give me a ARC which I was eligible in getting. Since I'm a dual citizen of tw and can..the boss wanted to pay me like a local. I said just pay me cash cuz I don't wanna get taxed. I gave the school my tw id to get health insurance--altho it seems like the card is fake. With all this, is it still possible that the school can declare me, resulting me in paying taxes next year?

Postby Borutesu_Faibu » 14 Nov 2002, 09:16

Article 2

For any individual having income from sources in the Republic of China, consolidated income tax shall be levied in accordance with this Law on his income derived from sources in the Republic of China.

Unless otherwise provided in this Law, in the case of an individual who is a nonresident in the Republic of China but who has derived income from sources in the Republic of China, income tax payable by him on all such income shall be withheld and paid at the respective sources.


This stands for both Taiwanese and foreign, bottom line, you need to pay a visit to the tax office.

Postby Rascal » 14 Nov 2002, 15:22

Of course any income is taxable, paid cash or otherwise - doesn't matter.

But if you have no agreement or contract you may not get paid if your boss is in a bad mood - and there is no way for you to proof it or sue him without getting yourself into trouble then. Risky.
Sign here
User avatar
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)
Posts: 8176
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: The other side

Postby Anonymous » 14 Nov 2002, 18:18

You probably get taxed if you gave your employer your ID - Even if paid in cash - otherwise it is up to you to declare it, unless you plan not to make a tax return.

Postby wcflex » 14 Nov 2002, 23:49

so how does it work for those who just come here and work for a summer or so and leave?and there are tons who get paid in cash at their school.I'm sure not all do their taxes.what are the consequences in tw if you dont do your taxes?

Work for the summer and then leave

Postby Hartzell » 15 Nov 2002, 07:56

In order to answer the questions brought up in this thread, one has to maintain a consistent point of view. Initially, wcflex stated that he is a dual national (ROC - Canada) and has an ROC ID card. Based on that status, which is quite a bit different from "overseas Chinese", and certainly different from "average foreigners", of course he has full work rights in the ROC.

Article 7 of the Income Tax Law does not differentiate between local citizens and foreigners in terms of the amount of withholding taxes which should be taken out of salary payment for services rendered in the ROC. Hence, for those physically present in the ROC less than 183 days in the year, withholding should be made at the 20% rate.

If your employer is not doing this, he is not conforming to the law. Unfortunately, such non-conformance to the law is commonly seen here in Taiwan.
Richard W. Hartzell
contact me by email at
Neihu District, Taipei (114)
User avatar
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Posts: 2348
Joined: 31 Oct 2000, 17:01
Location: Nei Hu District, Taipei, Taiwan

Postby wcflex » 16 Nov 2002, 01:16

thanks for all the posts..sorry if I'm still somewhat unclear in what all were, if I'm correct..the employer is suppose to withold a portion of your salary for tax purposes?anyways,so what it sounds like..whether if my boss is running his cram school in a legit way or not,it's still safer if i take a visit to the tax office next year?take out the fact that I have a tw id..has anyone encounter my type of situation--where the school pays you in cash and had to question about having to do taxes.

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests