elderly Canadian parent as dependent?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

elderly Canadian parent as dependent?

Postby Little Yellow Dog » 30 Sep 2007, 18:04

Are there any Canadians out there who claim a parent on their taxes here in Taiwan? I am specifically wondering about the documents required from Canada to do this. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Little Yellow Dog
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby citizen k » 14 Oct 2007, 02:52

A copy of their birth certificate and a proof of address/residence. Contact the tax office for more info, they are very helpful and have staff that are fluent in English.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Speaking of ...

Postby cestmoi » 07 Aug 2008, 12:00

I was wondering if one can claim parents-in-law as dependents in Canada?

My fiancee is currently working and we're getting married soon. Can she claim my parents as dependents? My parents are retired while hers are working still in Taiwan (if anyone is thinking why not her own parents).
All or Nothin' Baby!
cestmoi
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby xtrain » 07 Aug 2008, 12:14

see this thread: http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... 8&start=10

I don't think you can do it until you are married. then, you can file jointly, and can claim your parents (& grandparents).
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

38 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 07 Aug 2008, 13:39

citizen k wrote:A copy of their birth certificate and a proof of address/residence. Contact the tax office for more info, they are very helpful and have staff that are fluent in English.
You need proof that you are related to them as well - therefore I needed to get a long form of my birth certificate, not just the usual one I had with me. They also wanted my parents' 'alive certificate' - I got a notary public to write a note, notarized, of course, saying that they were still alive. A tax worker told me that a recent etter addressed to my parents would have been enough proof.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Taxes