My University Employer Won't Give me My Rental Receipts

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

My University Employer Won't Give me My Rental Receipts

Postby Shimokitazawa » 31 May 2008, 04:46

I teach at a school in Taipei and have lived in school housing for the few years.

The school charges me each month for what I have recently learned is a "maintenance" fee and not actually rent. It turns out the university is just taking this money and not paying taxes on it and leaving the teachers to pay the tax on the dough. That is, the school refuses to give us rental receipts even though we are paying rent ("maintenance").

I owed NT $13,000 in taxes and my girlfriend told me that had the school given me my rental receipts, I could have actually received money back from the tax office (she worked it out on a calculator).

Do they (tax people) have any teeth or will "guanxi" on the part of the university officials (it's a private university in Taipei) and the tax people mean that nothing will ever ultimately be done to correct the situation?
Shimokitazawa
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 31 May 2008, 05:44

This is normal in Taiwan. You can claim rent as a tax deduction, but to do so you need the landlord's assistance. The landlord usually is not declaring the rental income, so will not give you receipts. However, IF you insist on receipts for tax purposes, the landlord will lose money; to make it up, he will have to charge more rent. The last place i rented, when i asked for reeipts the landlord said the rent would be 1,000 NT a month higher with receipts - thus negating any tax savings.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 31 May 2008, 10:44

But you don't actually need the receipts do you? I've got tax back, just by bringing in the contract.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

15 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 31 May 2008, 10:46

I discovered this tax rule a few years back, and my landlord refused too. In fact, he used to rip up my lease when it was finished before starting a new one the following year. Crooked bastard.

Welcome to Taiwan. :noway:
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Shimokitazawa » 31 May 2008, 16:40

Bu Lai En wrote:But you don't actually need the receipts do you? I've got tax back, just by bringing in the contract.

The lady at the tax office told me to bring in my contract and they will have a look at the wording. But the tax official already suspected and told me that the school was just pocketing the money and not paying tax on it and told me that they may not be looking at it as rent. After some investigation and having them look at the wording, the language used on the contract is maintenance fee.
Shimokitazawa

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Indiana » 31 May 2008, 17:39

Shimokitazawa wrote:She also cautioned me to sign my new employment contract with the university before they launched their investigation of the school as she expected they might try to "punish" me by not offering me a new contract once the Tax office started asking them questions.

Charming. And this says a LOT about the maturity level of the Taiwanese.

I am SO glad I left. :s
Forumosan avatar
Indiana

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 31 May 2008, 20:55

Shimo -
It sounds like this lady at the Tax Office is pretty sharp. Cultivate your relationship with her. It could pay dividends.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taxes