Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

My school doesn't deduct taxes from my salary - is that ok?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: My school isn't...

Postby citizen k » 29 May 2010, 17:21

HockeyTaiwan wrote:I'm not married yet. so that option will have to wait for a little bit.

My mistake, confused with another thread. Yes, you can back file. I've known people to file for two or three years at a time. The penalty is something like one percent per year on balances owing. Really low.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

In Taiwan since: 21 Jan 1996

Re: My school doesn't deduct taxes from my salary - is that

Postby Homey » 30 May 2010, 21:09

My school has never deducted taxes, but they always give me the with-holding statement and deduct my contribution for the health insurance so it has never been a problem. It's a bit of a drag paying the tax in one lump sum, but there doesn't appear to be anything illegal about doing things this way. The tax office has never indicated a problem.

Personally, I prefer it this way. I know for sure that the school is not deducting taxes from my check and keeping it for themselves. They pay me my full wage minus a small amount for health insurance and it's a clean, transparent, way of doing business.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby HockeyTaiwan » 31 May 2010, 15:15

@homey excellent point.

I think I'm gonna try and get my statement from that first school i worked for and try to file those. perhaps I'll get a nice return... but first, the hard work, getting the withholding statement from them..

wish me luck!

HockeyTaiwan
HockeyTaiwan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby HockeyTaiwan » 01 Jun 2010, 18:16

Well I paid my taxes, a lot smaller than I initially expected (only about 3000nt) and it was really easy! I have no run into some new problems trying to get info from my old schools so I can file taxes from the years past.

preface: I worked for a school from september of '05 through to 2007. The 2005 tax papers go from sep. to dec. and the taxable income was 60,000nt and tax withholding was 12,000 but I was working full time making 50k+.
- I find this weird. Not sure if its good or not.

The school only ever deducted 3000nt each month for tax, all the way up to when I quit. Whether I was making 50k+ or only 30K+ near the end.

When I asked them for the 2006 papers, they said that the school did taxes once a year and they didn't have another tax paper for me, just the 2005 one.
- I also find this really weird. Why would they have a 2005 and not a 2006. I worked the whole 2006 year and almost all of it full time.

I was at the tax office and I asked them about paying the back taxes and they pulled up some info on the computer. The 2005 stuff was the same as the school gave me but the 2006 numbers looked a lot smaller than they should. The tax office gave me a couple tax return forms to fill out but I have no idea how to do them.

I kept my pay stubs from the time I worked at that school as well.

So... I'm still waiting for the info on the 2006 statement. What kind of options do I have?
HockeyTaiwan

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Enigma » 01 Jun 2010, 18:35

As the years go by, the teacher tax scam is becoming more rare. Yet, still, in the more remote area of Taiwan, it is still practiced. AFAK, the school is required to deduct taxes. If you don't see a statement of witholding (I can't recall the required date but I think it is before March 1) simply call your employer and ask. If they are cheating you and the government, you will get a response about not wanting to cause you problems. Fine. Just tell them that all this tax stuff is unfamiliar to you so you will take all your banking information to the tax office and have them help you. You will find immediate compliance and - - - not a happy employer. But do you really want to work for a crook anyway? BTW, for new people, you will have to have an A4 size tax compliance statement from the tax office when you file so you can renew your ARC. Beware.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby bababa » 01 Jun 2010, 19:39

HockeyTaiwan wrote:preface: I worked for a school from september of '05 through to 2007. The 2005 tax papers go from sep. to dec. and the taxable income was 60,000nt and tax withholding was 12,000 but I was working full time making 50k+.
- I find this weird. Not sure if its good or not.

The school only ever deducted 3000nt each month for tax, all the way up to when I quit. Whether I was making 50k+ or only 30K+ near the end.

This means they were cheating the government, not you.
When I asked them for the 2006 papers, they said that the school did taxes once a year and they didn't have another tax paper for me, just the 2005 one.
- I also find this really weird. Why would they have a 2005 and not a 2006. I worked the whole 2006 year and almost all of it full time.

I was at the tax office and I asked them about paying the back taxes and they pulled up some info on the computer. The 2005 stuff was the same as the school gave me but the 2006 numbers looked a lot smaller than they should. The tax office gave me a couple tax return forms to fill out but I have no idea how to do them.

Is the amount deducted for tax on the info from the tax office for 2006 the same as the amounts on your pay stubs? If so, they are cheating the government, but not you. If the amounts deducted per your pay stubs add up to more than the info from the tax office, the school was cheating both.
If they weren't cheating you, I'd just go with the info the tax office has. You could use your pay stubs to prove to the tax office you were making more than the school claimed, but then you'd have to pay more tax, and the school will get in trouble.
Usually someone at the tax office will help you fill out the forms. Just ask.
bababa

Postby HockeyTaiwan » 01 Jun 2010, 19:48

@ enigma and bababa great responses guys!

bababa, I haven't received any info for 2006 yet. When the tax lady showed me the 2006 info they had on the computer, she immediately said "you pay!". so that sucks.. haha!

Do you think that the school owes me money or just the government because maybe they were only claiming a portion of what they were taking off my pay?
HockeyTaiwan

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby bababa » 01 Jun 2010, 21:15

HockeyTaiwan wrote:Do you think that the school owes me money or just the government because maybe they were only claiming a portion of what they were taking off my pay?

I'm betting the school owes the government money because they were underreporting. You'll have to compare your pay stubs to the tax withholding statement or the info on the computer.
Could be the boss noticed you weren't doing your taxes or paying any attention to it, so, even though they didn't cheat you in 2005, they decided to try to cheat both you and the gov't in 2006.
Every time I filed, though, I got money back, so the fact the tax lady said 'You pay" makes me think the school didn't send the money they deducted from your pay into the tax office, and didn't report it.
bababa

Postby HockeyTaiwan » 02 Jun 2010, 18:25

So I've been trying to get these statements right? Today I got an email from the school and they said to me:

"What reason do you want these statements for? Its been a long time. We don't have another statement. If you can tell me the reason I'll try my best to get the statement for you."

So its apparent they are playing games now...

I just wrote back and said I wanted to avoid any trouble from the government for me and their school. One funny thing is, I've requested a contact number from them and they still haven't given me one.
HockeyTaiwan

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby bababa » 02 Jun 2010, 20:01

HockeyTaiwan wrote:"What reason do you want these statements for?

Uh, so I can file my tax return?

Sounds like they deducted the 'taxes' from your pay, but didn't send them in to the tax office or report it.
Congrats on having kept your pay stubs. I can't even find mine from last month.
bababa

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Taxes