Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Boss returned taxes!

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby wix » 08 May 2003, 07:48

As I understand it these are marginal tax rates. i.e. you don't pay 13% on your entire income. The first $74k is tax free. From $74k to $370k you pay 6%. Above $370k you pay 13%. So if you earn $600k you only pay 13% tax on $230k ($600k - $370k). You do the maths, but it works out to less than 10%.

And as Boss Hogg so wisely mentioned "What are you going to declare?"
User avatar
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Posts: 1200
Joined: 24 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Earth

Postby jeff » 08 May 2003, 07:55

wix wrote:And as Boss Hogg so wisely mentioned "What are you going to declare?"

I don't understand that. The employer sends a copy of your tax withholdings statement to the tax bureau, so you have to declare that amount. Now, you're also supposed to declare outside income (eg, from privates), but that's a bit harder to trace if they don't file official tax statements.

Brother made a good point about deductions. I didn't realized it in time to take advantage of it, but money you send home to help out your folks (I think they have to be above a certain age) is tax deductible.
User avatar
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Posts: 980
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Bassman » 08 May 2003, 08:21

Ok, I should be more clear here! In Taiwan almost every English school, I assume you teach English, lies about how much it is paying it's teachers. So, I guess what I should say is "How much is your boss saying that you make?" There are many reasons why bosses lie about money and it wouldn't surprise me if this were the case. However, there is a minimum salary of about $34 000 a month that the tax department is more likely to believe/accept, at least in smaller areas.
Myself, I don't need to lie about taxes as I have many deductions.
User avatar
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Posts: 3699
Joined: 22 Aug 2002, 15:44
Location: New Zealand


Postby Steeevieboy » 08 May 2003, 11:18

Ok, let's talk deductions. I have been sending money home to myself. My brother is in University. Can I tie the 2 together? What documents would I need to prove that I was paying for his tuition?
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Posts: 1007
Joined: 23 Jan 2003, 09:21
Location: see the flag

Postby Bassman » 08 May 2003, 11:56

When you send money back you need to give a reason on the transfer form. Write "for parents" - bingo bango you are supporting your aging parents.
User avatar
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Posts: 3699
Joined: 22 Aug 2002, 15:44
Location: New Zealand

Postby BAH » 09 May 2003, 03:13

Just make sure your parents don't take that money and then say, "see, it says the money is for us!"

Just kidding... you should practice some filial piety though, and not just use your parents as deductions. :wink:
User avatar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 319
Joined: 24 Oct 2001, 16:01
Location: Shanghai

Postby Wangbing » 09 May 2003, 12:12

American income tax-exemptions potentially will be soon ending if you work abroad. One big pocket book reason to become a ROC citizen or just "Yankee Come Home": ... /09/205300
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful individuals with talent.
Genius will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 23
Joined: 17 Oct 2002, 05:49

Postby aceman » 09 May 2003, 18:23

So if taxes are automatically deducted from my salary that means I will probably never get any of it back right? Has anyone ever gotten money back from the government?
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
Posts: 517
Joined: 09 Jul 2002, 16:01
Location: California/Taipei

Postby Mr He » 09 May 2003, 18:27

I got a big lump last year, and expect the same this year. It alldepends on your deductions etc, and I have many deductions.

So foreigners can get money back, no problem.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
Posts: 10503
Joined: 31 Oct 2000, 17:01
Location: Near the tower of doom

Postby Anonymous » 09 May 2003, 18:28

Yes, most years

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests