Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

Postby Delonge182 » 06 Oct 2010, 21:26

Hey Guys,

I've pretty much been on sabbatical (read "vacation") for the last 6 months and chipping away at my US savings during this time.

I didn't make any income sourced from Taiwan, worked for anyone here, or perceived compensation in any way.

Does my multi-entry visa allow me to leave Taiwan without filing ? Or is it formal process to file.

Thanks
Power quote from Tommy525 : "I'm not God, but I am a Dog"
Forumosan avatar
Delonge182
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)

Re: Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

Postby Northcoast Surfer » 06 Oct 2010, 21:52

Delonge182 wrote:Hey Guys,

I've pretty much been on sabbatical (read "vacation") for the last 6 months and chipping away at my US savings during this time.

I didn't make any income sourced from Taiwan, worked for anyone here, or perceived compensation in any way.

Does my multi-entry visa allow me to leave Taiwan without filing ? Or is it formal process to file.

Thanks
If you are on a visitor's visa, then you have no authorization to work and earn any income. Therefore, do not, under any circumstances attempt to file taxes. Ok? :no-no:
Forumosan avatar
Northcoast Surfer
Not actually banned (he just tells everyone he is)

175 Recommends(s)
142 Recognized(s)

Postby Delonge182 » 06 Oct 2010, 21:58

Yeah,

I just realized that was a newb question, sorry.

Ok, thanks

Seb
Forumosan avatar
Delonge182

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)

Postby european » 07 Oct 2010, 16:21

Northcoast Surfer wrote:

Thanks
If you are on a visitor's visa, then you have no authorization to work and earn any income. Therefore, do not, under any circumstances attempt to file taxes. Ok? :no-no:

Yeah but there will be some smart arse appearing telling you it's all breaking the law as you have passed the 6 month mark on the island.
european
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 07 Oct 2010, 16:34

Its not a newb question. The tax office don't give a damn what visa you hold or how you earn your moola in Taiwan. But you don't have to file if you don't want. You only have to file if in future you want to get an ARC since you will need a tax certificate. Then you will have to write a letter saying you was doing nothing here and supported yourself from savings in the US. Some exchange certificates might help. Believe me the tax office are very nice people and are not trying to trap anyone into admitting they worked illegally. They once held a cheque for me for 4 years and when I finally filed they asked me if I ever worked (illegally) for ABC company. I of course denied all knowledge then they explained they just wanted to give me a cheque for NTD6000. "Ah yes, I completely forgot about that job, gimme that cheque." :cool:
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

30 Recommends(s)
117 Recognized(s)

Postby Delonge182 » 07 Oct 2010, 17:14

european wrote:Yeah but there will be some smart arse appearing telling you it's all breaking the law as you have passed the 6 month mark on the island.

This confused me -

Per the last post, and the first reply, I do not need to file on a tourist visa if I've been here for more than 6 months and derived no income correct ?
Forumosan avatar
Delonge182

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)

Postby the bear » 07 Oct 2010, 19:25

Delonge182 wrote:
european wrote:Yeah but there will be some smart arse appearing telling you it's all breaking the law as you have passed the 6 month mark on the island.

This confused me -

Per the last post, and the first reply, I do not need to file on a tourist visa if I've been here for more than 6 months and derived no income correct ?

You have no obligation to file if you have no intention of working here. There is no exit permit requirement as there used to be so you is free to leave whenever you want. However if you ever want to apply for an ARC (or is it a work permit?) you need a tax certificate stating that your tax affairs are in order. Which means you would have to file a tax return.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

30 Recommends(s)
117 Recognized(s)

Postby Delonge182 » 07 Oct 2010, 19:34

Thanks buddy
Forumosan avatar
Delonge182

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)

Postby Tobiasgar » 10 Oct 2011, 14:27

You will need to prove that you have strong financial ties and enough money for your stay in the US
Tobiasgar
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 Oct 2011, 15:04

Northcoast Surfer wrote:

Thanks

I wouldn't say that ... staying in the country for more than 183 days obliges you to fill out a tax form before leaving the country you could be stopped ... it used to be like that ...

I had a fight at the tax office once because I said I didn't work and put 0 NT$ income on the form, the woman didn't accept 0 NT$ income, she asked me were I got the money to stay that long in Taiwan, if I had any sources of income, NOPE ... after 30 min haggling I was free to go ... and an acquaintance even had to pay tax of 5,000NT$ after staying longer than 183 days ... they stated the use of Taiwan's public facilities as reason for the tax payable :doh: ... on a visitor visa ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
88 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taxes