Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

Postby tommy525 » 10 Oct 2011, 15:53

Far as I understand it. If you stay longer then 183 days of a calendar year in the ROC then you are supposed to file a tax return. Stating tax exempt due to no income in the ROC. If that is the case. Of course the friendly tax boys will try to cajole you into accepting some sort of arbitrary income that they think up so you can pay some tax.

If you do not overstay your visa, you will not have to go see the boys at the tax orifice. But if you do, you will have to face them and their line of fire.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Joschka » 10 Oct 2011, 17:07

the bear wrote:
Delonge182 wrote:
european wrote:Yeah but there will be some smart arse appearing telling you it's all breaking the law as you have passed the 6 month mark on the island.

This confused me -

Per the last post, and the first reply, I do not need to file on a tourist visa if I've been here for more than 6 months and derived no income correct ?

You have no obligation to file if you have no intention of working here. There is no exit permit requirement as there used to be so you is free to leave whenever you want. However if you ever want to apply for an ARC (or is it a work permit?) you need a tax certificate stating that your tax affairs are in order. Which means you would have to file a tax return.

I came on a student visa and got my ARC three months later (married a Tainwanese woman.) I did NOT have to get any kind of tax certificate nor did I have to file any kind of tax return. It's more than two years now and I have not worked and not filed a tax return yet.
Jim Kay
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I like to think intelligence is contagious. Unfortunately, it isn't" Gore VIdal
Joschka
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 Oct 2011, 17:19

I came on a student visa and got my ARC three months later (married a Tainwanese woman.) I did NOT have to get any kind of tax certificate nor did I have to file any kind of tax return. It's more than two years now and I have not worked and not filed a tax return yet.

Not even joint tax filing with your wife? It's about time you start doing so. If your wife is working she can deduct you as dependent.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 10 Oct 2011, 19:43

Yes, just to confirm, you can get an ARC without having filed a Tax return, I am not sure where this information has come from. At minimum, ARC by marriage does not require a tax return being filed.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 10 Oct 2011, 19:53

pqkdzrwt wrote:Yes, just to confirm, you can get an ARC without having filed a Tax return, I am not sure where this information has come from. At minimum, ARC by marriage does not require a tax return being filed.

That's true ... but try getting a PARC ... no go!

Personally I think it's better for someone that 'doesn't' work to do joint filing with the SO ... saves some money and later there won't be any problems ...
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 10 Oct 2011, 20:20

Yea someone was talking about ARC not PARC.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 12 Oct 2011, 06:03

My first year here was on a tourist visa, studying Chinese and making a trip home every 6 months as per the extension limit. I didn't file any tax forms in Taiwan, and it didn't present any issue when I eventually converted to a resident visa + work permit = ARC.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Lo Pan » 24 May 2012, 08:57

I was in Taiwan for a total of 117 days in 2010 on a tourist visa and not working... I was studying Chinese for part of that time

Now I am trying to file my 2011 taxes and the Taiwan Tax Authority has declared they will not accept my 2011 taxes until I file for 2010. :raspberry:

As a part of my 2010 return, they want me to provide documentation to prove that I was not working... how on earth do you provide documentation of not having a job :loco:
Forumosan avatar
Lo Pan

18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 24 May 2012, 09:31

But (theres always a but) be careful NOT to overstay at all, even one day. Because they will try to give some arbitrary tax number that you need to pay.

If you overstay, the fuzz may send you to the tax office, who may then assess this totally arbitrary tax on you before they will sign the release which will allow you to get your exit stamp.

So beware of this. Technically anyone who stays in TAiwan over 183 days in a calendar year needs to file either their tax exempt status or file taxes. OF course if you file taxes you run into the "you are working illegally in taiwan" problem.

So long story short do NOT overstay. Leave several days early to be safe.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Rotalsnart » 24 May 2012, 11:14

the bear wrote:Its not a newb question. The tax office don't give a damn what visa you hold or how you earn your moola in Taiwan. But you don't have to file if you don't want. You only have to file if in future you want to get an ARC since you will need a tax certificate. Then you will have to write a letter saying you was doing nothing here and supported yourself from savings in the US. Some exchange certificates might help. Believe me the tax office are very nice people and are not trying to trap anyone into admitting they worked illegally. They once held a cheque for me for 4 years and when I finally filed they asked me if I ever worked (illegally) for ABC company. I of course denied all knowledge then they explained they just wanted to give me a cheque for NTD6000. "Ah yes, I completely forgot about that job, gimme that cheque." :cool:

Were you still able to cash the check here after 4 years?
Rotalsnart
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

58 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Taxes