Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Do you need to file taxes on tourist Visa ?

Postby the bear » 24 May 2012, 16:24

Rotalsnart wrote:
the bear wrote:Its not a newb question. The tax office don't give a damn what visa you hold or how you earn your moola in Taiwan. But you don't have to file if you don't want. You only have to file if in future you want to get an ARC since you will need a tax certificate. Then you will have to write a letter saying you was doing nothing here and supported yourself from savings in the US. Some exchange certificates might help. Believe me the tax office are very nice people and are not trying to trap anyone into admitting they worked illegally. They once held a cheque for me for 4 years and when I finally filed they asked me if I ever worked (illegally) for ABC company. I of course denied all knowledge then they explained they just wanted to give me a cheque for NTD6000. "Ah yes, I completely forgot about that job, gimme that cheque." :cool:

Were you still able to cash the check here after 4 years?

Yes, those checks are issued by the central bank; they are good for ever (or 10 years which ever comes first).

Just to reconfirm; you need a tax certificate to get an ARC. I'm going to file tomorrow so I can get a new work permit and ARC. There is no other reason to file if you don't want to; but be aware that when you do file you will have to file for every year you have been in Taiwan regardless of your status during those years.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
User avatar
the bear
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
Posts: 4523
Joined: 14 Jul 2003, 14:45
Location: Taipei City
In Taiwan since: 23 Aug 1990

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Taxes

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests