Reminder: All USA Citizens MUST file Taxes with the IRS!

ROC taxes, overseas payment of taxes, withholding rates, general tax liability issues, and other tax-related matters
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: REMINDER: ALL USA CITIZENS MUST FILE TAXES WITH THE IRS!

Postby thehaggard » 23 Apr 2012, 14:23

You don't even have to file AT ALL if your reportable income is as stated in Publication 54 page, top of 3rd column:

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return. Generally, you must file a return for 2011 if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the following table.

Single earning less that $9500
head of house earning less than 12,200
Married filing jointly earning less than 19,000

So if you are earning only enough pay in Taiwan to get by... and some of us are not working to get rich... it is possible that you may not even need to file paperwork at all. Of course, then it will be a pain if you have to show reporting for the last several years for one reason or another (like to take home a Taiwanese spouse). But I have not filed in 7 years because I simply don't make enough reportable income (as my CPA has told me is legal and right, so not just my opinion). I know that the laws are changing and I WILL need to file soon... that pisses me off, and scares me when I do file (will they flag me for audit).
thehaggard
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Jive Turkey » 23 Apr 2012, 22:40

panda wrote:
jdsmith wrote:Got a question about my tax filings:

I made a mistake and neglected to write down my son's SSN on last years returns, and the IRS sent me a letter telling me I owed some money. Problem easily solved, but on the form, they also said I didn't supply an SSN or ITIN (individual taxpayer Id Number) for my tai tai. Now, I never have since she has neither.

So, the question is do you guys write an ITIN on your tax forms for your spouse, and if so, how'd ya get it?

Thanks.

jdseeks

My attorney told me to write Taiwan person in that blank and thats what I did and they never bothered me about it. That was 10 years ago though.

The IRS seems to be getting nosier these days. It seems that they now want non-resident citizens with non-resident alien spouses to get an ITIN even if filing separately or as head of household. I think a Forumosa poster mentioned getting a letter from the IRS asking her to get/use an ITIN for her non-US person spouse. I am able to file as head of household and have just written "NR alien, no SSN" in the SSN blank on Form 1040. I have not gotten any complaints from the IRS so far, but I only just did my 2010 filing. Maybe I'll get a letter soon.

You get an ITIN by filing Form W-7. It asks for some personal details that non-resident aliens might feel are none of the US government's business. My wife has made it clear that the only "information" she would allow me to file on the form is specific advice to the IRS as to where they can put the form. I feel that the information you are supposed to put on the form is not especially private, but I do object in principle to their nosiness. Other than having married a US citizen overseas, my wife has no ties to the US. Why should the USG presume any authority to request her personal details?

The American Citizens Abroad website addresses a lot of the issues one might face when filing from overseas:
http://www.aca.ch/joomla/index.php
I think there might be one or two articles there about ITINs.
Jive Turkey
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

16 Recognized(s)

Postby nonredneck » 12 May 2012, 04:44

jdsmith wrote:Got a question about my tax filings:

I made a mistake and neglected to write down my son's SSN on last years returns, and the IRS sent me a letter telling me I owed some money. Problem easily solved, but on the form, they also said I didn't supply an SSN or ITIN (individual taxpayer Id Number) for my tai tai. Now, I never have since she has neither.

So, the question is do you guys write an ITIN on your tax forms for your spouse, and if so, how'd ya get it?

Thanks.

jdseeks

ITIN can be applied for using the information supplied by the IRS here.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/int ... 96,00.html

For ID, it seems like the easiest way is to get a certificated copy of your SO's passport and then have it apostilled.
nonredneck
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

10 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby nonredneck » 12 May 2012, 04:54

Jive Turkey wrote:
panda wrote:
jdsmith wrote: Why should the USG presume any authority to request her personal details?

The US are getting financially weak and dying. In their transition to a communist totalitarian state, they implement currency controls and tracking on money that one can bring in or out of the country. They are desperate to get money because they are insolvent.

There is currently a proposed law that will tie passport renewal to paying your taxes. If that passes, I can easily imagine them requiring you to file taxes with your non-resident spouse or risk not getting your passport renewed.
nonredneck

10 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby thirdstring » 25 Feb 2013, 21:09

Timabee wrote:My apologies for going a bit off topic but I have a question about U.S. taxes for American citizens living in Taiwan. I am a 52 y/o, married with 2 children. Still living and working in the U.S. but expect to move (retire) to Taiwan within the next 5 years (wife is Taiwanese). U.S. income from pension etc. will be > $50K - $60K per year. I expect income from Taiwanese sources will be minimal. Is tax treatment of U.S-based income of persons living abroad (e.g. deductions, tax rates) the same as living in the U.S. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Timabee, like Northcoast Surfer said, the exclusion only applies to foreign earned income (reported on line 7 of the 1040, exempted on line 21). Your pensions will be on line 16a. Deductions, credits, etc, will be the same in the US or Taiwan if your earned income (salary) is $0 (unless your children are tax dependents, which is a different story).
For example, my rental home in the US still has to file just the same, as does the IRA I rolled into a Roth.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional.
thirdstring
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

25 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby warpandas » 02 May 2014, 00:38

Line 44 - Tax (see instructions). Check if any from:
a. Form(s) 8814
b. Form 4972
c. 962 election

If Taxable Income is 0, what goes in Line 44?
warpandas

Postby JeffG » 08 Jun 2014, 19:14

A reminder to all your FBARs are due by June 30! Failure to send it in carries a 10,000 to 100,000 penalty or half the balance of the account. This applies to those who have US$10,000 aggregate in foreign accounts. With FATCA implementation just around the corner it is something to consider. It now has to be filed electronically. Apparently the US treasury thinks everyone has a connection to the internet... anyway...

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA to be implemented on July 1, 2014, if you want to move money around, do it now!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 08 Jun 2014, 19:54

Sorry, I confused.
if Taiwan didn't signed up FATCA yet why US citizens living in Taiwan need to report if they have bank account in Taiwan exceeded $10000?
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby JeffG » 08 Jun 2014, 20:27

feropont wrote:Sorry, I confused.
if Taiwan didn't signed up FATCA yet why US citizens living in Taiwan need to report if they have bank account in Taiwan exceeded $10000?

FBAR is different than FATCA. FBAR has been on and off the books since the 1970s. Sometime back about 5-10 years ago the IRS started asking on tax returns if one had a foreign account, and if the aggregate value of all your accounts totaled 10,000 or more during the year then you had to report all of them with their highest values during the year on the FBAR form. FATCA has nothing to do with FBAR, however, in the future it will as the US Treasury might get your data from Taiwan banks through FATCA and then search to see if you submitted FBARs. It's all one big CF.

Taiwan will sign FATCA probably this month, I heard today that 400 entities have signed an IGA. FATCA's reporting requirements is 50,000 held by anyone at one bank. So if you have two accounts in one back with 25,000 in each, your account will be reported to the IRS. That is if they know you are a US person or Greencard holder.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA to be implemented on July 1, 2014, if you want to move money around, do it now!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG

10 Recognized(s)

Postby backpacker24 » 13 Jun 2014, 10:13

Has anyone had any luck with free e-file sites this year?

I was able to do it with TaxSlayer last year, but this year they say I don't qualify for some reason, although my return is almost exactly the same as it was last year.

The other e-file sites the IRS had recommended for Americans living abroad just don't seem to be designed to handle foreign income properly.
backpacker24
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

PreviousNext

Return to Taxes